Chapter 6

"Get down!" Rick called.

Everyone ducked down behind the cars to take shelter from the attackers. I looked around to see where the shot hit, and I saw Ed's lifeless body sprawled out across the ground, blood running down from the gunshot wound in his head. Although I didn't know him, I wasn't at all sad to see him dead. To my suprise, I didn't see Sophia and Carol mourning over his death. Even though he was a complete asshole, he was still their family, and I fugured they would have some sort of reaction to his death, but no, they just sat behind the cars, showing no emotion over his death.

"Come on out now you guys, stop being such pussies. Come out and deal with your problems," Someone on the other side called out.

Rick sighed, before slowly standing up and revealing his face to the other group. He took in a deep, shakey breath before speaking.

"What do you want from us?" Rick questions.

"We want you gone, ain't it obvious?" the same guy called out.

"Well we're leaving, can't you see that?" Rick asked with a sarcastic tone.

"Not that kind of gone, like we want you off this world. If we don't kill you now, how do we know that you won't come back and harm my people like that?"

"We won't. We aren't like that," Rick pleaded.

"I don't know you. You just expect me to take your word for it?" He chuckled, "Men, fire,"

Rick ducked back behind the car when the gunshots started. You could hear the bullets penetrate the cars. I looked over to Rick and we locked eye, he nodded to my gun and threw his head back in the direction of our enemies in the treeline. I took it that he wanted me to fire back. I cocked the gun, and sat for a few seconds longer, waiting for the right moment to return fire. All the other adults saw what I was going to attempt, and copied what I was doing. I heard the gunshots stop, and I waited to see if they would start up again. When they didn't, I looked back to Rick, and nodded my head. He held up three fingers, suggesting we attack on his count. When he reached zero, we all jumped up from behind the cars and fired back at them. Immediatly, I had taken down three of the men, all caught off guard from the attack.

The air became thick with smoke from the guns. We've been here shooting for who knows how long, but if we don't end this now, I'm certain the walkers are going to find us, and we will have more than just the opposing group to worry about.

Together, my group worked to pick off as many people as we could, and we brought the other group down to three people, while my group still had everyone fighting. Off in the distance, I could see that one of the men was training his gun in a certain direction, and was shifting it slightly, like he had a small target he was going for. I followed the direction of where the gun was pointed, and saw that it was trained on Daryl's head. That asshole was gonna shoot him! I saw him hover his fingers over the trigger, and at the same moment I heard the shot ring from his gun, I jumped up and shoved Daryl to the ground and fell on top of him. When I hit the ground, I felt a searing pain throughout my whole body, and I knew that I was hit. My eyes glanced down to my stomach, and I could see the blood stain on my shirt growing bigger and bigger every second, the blood staining every fiber of the shirt, ruining it. What a shame, it was one of my favorite shirts. I used both my hands to push me up off the ground, while I was wincing from the pain the whole time. I looked over and saw Daryl slowly sit up, he was glaring at me.

"What the 'ell Julie. What were ya-" Daryl stopped speaking when he followed my eyes down to my blood-soaked shirt. His eyes grew big at the sight, and he was slowly putting together why I did what I did.

"Shit! Carol, I need ya' over 'ere now!" Daryl yelled.

Carol looked in our direction, and her eyes grew wide at the sight. She turned and whispered to Sophia, who was staring at me with tears brimming her eyes. Carol made her way over to me, she inspected the wound before turning away to Daryl with fear in her eyes.