informally yours | nayeon

Informally Yours by sunshinexscenrio on tumblr

It was well past midnight and despite the fact both you and Nayeon have jam-packed schedules in the morning, Nayeon is still making faces at herself in the mirror

It was well past midnight and despite the fact both you and Nayeon have jam-packed schedules in the morning, Nayeon is still making faces at herself in the mirror. You would think someone who is doing nothing more than sitting in front of a mirror in love with her reflection would be fairly quiet, but things can never be that easy. Nayeon requires extra validation that she's pretty, and no matter how many times you've told her in the last half hour alone, it's never quite enough.

You had come over to help Nayeon prepare dinner, which you naturally were then invited to, but the night went on a little too long and instead of heading back home when you could barely see the road in front of you, you decide to stay the night after calling home.

So, here you are, sprawled across Nayeon's bed hoping that she'll tire out soon so you can finally close your eyes and be at peace. You love Nayeon, honestly, you really do. You came running when she called you about an "emergency." Emergency meaning Nayeon needed help fixing dinner after she forgot something in the oven too long and it burnt. You are always there for her, as she is for you. She's your best friend, age difference aside. She's very kind, caring, protective, and usuallyvery thoughtful.

Usually is very much a key word, now that you've mostly drifted off into slumber. Just a little more, and you would be home free. The bed shifts next to you and you think that Nayeon's going to silently go sleep. But of course, she doesn't.

"Hey, Y/N, you think I'm pretty right?"

"Yah! Im Nayeon! It is the middle of the night! You're very pretty, now lay down and go to sleep!" You don't know what it is that snapped in you, and in your half-conscious state, you don't care. The rest of the night goes on quietly. You don't hear or remember anything for the rest of the night.

—–

You wake up alone in Nayeon's bed, with the recollection of informally yelling at someone two years your senior slowly trickling into your memory. God, you hope she isn't mad. Maybe she won't remember. No, she'll definitely remember.

Quietly, you sneak into the washroom to plan your funeral as you brush your teeth. On the way, you hear sounds from the kitchen where you assume Nayeon and Jihyo are making breakfast. Thinking it over to yourself, breakfast is your favourite meal. It's probably fitting enough for it to be your last too. Cleaning yourself up, you cautiously walk into the kitchen, where, as expected, Nayeon and Jihyo are making breakfast.

It didn't take long for Nayeon to notice your presence. A small smirk crosses her face. You have to admit, you're afraid.

"Good morning," you say carefully.

"Good morning? No 'Yah, Im Nayeon' today?" She meets your gaze and you try swallowing your fear, but god, this is when you're going to die, you just know it. Goodbye world, although unlikely, you'll try to remember it fondly.

"About last night. I -"

"You don't have to explain, I'm not mad," Nayeon cuts you off gently. Her expression softens to a reassuring one, but you wouldn't hold your breath about it staying that way.

"Really?"

"Mmmm. Really," Nayeon gives a noncommittal hum.

A small breath of relief escapes passed your lips. 

"You know," Nayeon continues, "instead of 'Yah, Im Nayeon,' you can just say 'Nayeon-ah' from now on." She gives you a teasing wink. Jihyo, who up until now was quietly cutting fruits, lets out a small laugh.

You are stunned. It was way too early for you to handle Nayeon's teasing and eccentricities. You know Jihyo isn't going to stop it unless things get out to hand, and so you decide to fire back with, "You're going to regret telling me that, Nayeon-ah."

Nayeon seemed briefly shocked that you actually were bold enough to try speaking that informally with her again, even if she gave you the go-ahead. But she quickly collects herself, and ends up laughing. Laughing all the more so as the rest of the girls show up, and look inexplicably stunned that you're talking to the oldest one there informally.

—–

You almost laugh, thinking about how you started speaking to Nayeon so informally, but you suppose, it would've happened one way or another.

Especially now. After all, it's been two years since then, and Nayeon would've urged you into speaking comfortably, even if the circumstances didn't work out like they did. Even if your relationship didn't evolve into what it is now.

You pick the keys off the counter, give yourself one last look over before calling out, "Nayeon-ah, we're going to be late for dinner."

"Yeah, I know, I know!" She dashes past you, making a beeline for the car. You chuckle, following her. On the drive there, you catch a glimpse of Nayeon's reflection in the mirror, and you smile to yourself.

"Nayeon-ah."

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

"I love you too, honey."