Chapter Three~Makeover

•It is the silence when everyone else is talking that makes the loudest noise~Lawrence A.L•

Mia's phone rang that night, shattering the silence. Without having to look, she knew it was none other than David. Heart thrumming dully, she let it ring.

She lay back on the couch, staring into the darkness. Night had long since fallen, prohibiting her from doing the thing that gave her the most pleasure: reading a good book. Reading by candlelight hurt her eyes and the power had been out for weeks.

Still, she was almost content. Lunch and dinner still sat heavy in her stomach and if she could fall asleep soon, that'd be great. She didn't like being left alone with her thoughts. Too many shadows in there.

The phone stopped ringing and she was able to relax once more. Maybe he would assume she was sleeping and leave her alone.

The party tomorrow night was for the unveiling of a new skincare line by Rauthbourne cosmetics. And she was going to be officially presented to Anthony Francisco Rauthbourne.

A cold sensation enveloped her. Strangers. Crowds. People staring. She'd been free from that for years and in that space of time, had forgotten the claustrophobic, choking feeling that came with this type of life. Eyes, many of them, staring at her, watching her every move.

The phone sprang to life, jarring her. She shut her eyes and gave a low moan. She hated talking on the phone and right now, he was the last person she wanted to have a conversation with. She turned the ringer off. Maybe if he called long enough, he'd give up and leave her in peace.

Her mind mulled over some of the things Mary had said earlier in the day.

"As your contract states, I won't just be using you in the cosmetics and beauty departments. You'll model every once in a while for ready-to-wear and haute couture. You have a beautiful figure and I don't want to waste it."

Mia didn't blush. Neither did the compliment tickle any feathers inside her. She was used to being sized according to her looks. She'd learned to accept it as a part of her life and unless she decided to crawl in a hole and hide, people would always comment on her appearance.

The phone was still vibrating on the end table in front of her. David. She remembered what she'd said to him after they'd become good friends all those years ago.

"You know why I like you, David? Why I made you my friend?"

His eyes sparkled, the ever present humor lurking beneath the surface. "My charming good looks?"

She remained serious. "Because you never told me I was beautiful."

He'd sobered up then and said he didn't need to tell her.

She pressed her eyes shut and tried not to let herself be dragged into the memories. Not now. When there were so many important things to think about. Like how she was going to pay her rent by the end of next week. She wasn't getting a paycheck until the end of the month.

"After your first shoot," Mary had said.

She thought of calling Mr. Cooper and begging him to extend the time but her cussed pride rebelled against doing anything that would bolster the ego of another. Especially someone as cantankerous as Jen Cooper.

Persistently, the phone kept ringing and frustrated, she snatched it up and considered chucking it against the wall before common sense won out. She didn't have money to be playing volleyball with a phone she couldn't afford to replace. Instead, she answered the call.