Chapter Four~The Unveiling

It was happening again. Mia could feel the air around her receding, leaving a choking feeling in its wake. She walked a step behind Mary yet she could feel the eyes of the entire room skewering her.

The several thousand square feet of the Hyatt banquet hall suddenly felt two inches small.

People smiled and greeted Mary, even as they stepped out of their way. No one tried to stop her as she made her way to a man and woman standing at the base of the raised platform north of the hall.

Mary stopped in front of the man and received a kiss on the cheek before exchanging air kisses with the buxom beauty standing beside him.

"Danielle. So good to see you."

Danielle gave a trilling laugh. "Oh, Mary. You look absolutely gorgeous."

Mary's smile was tight as she looked away from the gushing woman to the man. Mia couldn't help but stare at him. He was handsome with dark, brooding eyes and a head of thick black hair and perfect, olive skin.

"Anthony," Mary said curtly.

The man nodded. "Mary."

Mary sucked in a deep breath before gesturing to Mia. "This is Mia Taylor. Our new Queen."

He gave Mia a brief nod. "Pleasure to meet you."

"Mia, this is...the CEO of Rauthbourne, Anthony Francisco Rauthbourne."

Mia felt the silly urge to curtesy in the presence of fashion royalty but she caught herself just in time and gave a polite nod instead. "The pleasure is all mine, sir."

Mary's eyes had never left Anthony's, her expression oddly tight. Mia frowned, feeling the need to leave, to excuse herself from whatever it was simmering underneath the surface. It was as though the two were having their own silent conversation. One she did not want to be in the middle of.

"Mia," Mary said, still not looking at her. "Feel free to move around. Socialize a little."

She felt a surge of panic. Mary was tossing her to the wolves. Socialize? The rate of her heartbeat doubled as she turned around and faced the room. Thankfully, everyone had returned to their conversations and were no longer focused on them. She took an experimental step forward and was glad when no one looked her way. Instead of diving into the fray, she walked the periphery of the hall, keeping close to the walls until she reached the refreshment table at the back.

She released a breath of relief and grabbed a glass of something non-alcoholic. The cold, fruity drink went down smoothly as she used her eyes to scan the room. If she stayed right here and kept to herself, she'd make it through the night. She'd do her socializing with the buffet table.

If there weren't so many people around, she'd dip her tongue in the chocolate fountain and stuff her face with those spicy finger foods. She felt hungry just looking at the buffet tables lining the back.

What would her mother say if she knew where she was right now? With the creme de la creme of high fashion?

She could just hear her gloating in misplaced contentment. "I always knew you couldn't be so pretty for nothing."

Mia was hit by a pang of conscience. Maybe she might not say it so cruelly but she would be thinking it. That was for sure.

The program started when Anthony, Danielle and Mary took the stage. Anthony stood center stage, flanked by the two women, as he gave the welcome address.

She refilled her cup and stared disconsolately at the crowd.

She really did not see the use of attending the function. She did not need to be introduced to Anthony Francisco Rauthbourne. He was the CEO. His concern wasn't the models and even if for some reason, the introduction was necessary, couldn't it have been done elsewhere? It was all part of Mary's grand design, no doubt. Mia had a suspicious nature and was wary of Mary Rauthbourne. It was obvious the woman was shrewd and tactful and Mia had cause to doubt her luck.