Chapter Six~Dinner

When Mia woke up Friday morning, the first thing on her mind was the fact that her two weeks of grace had ended. Two weeks had flown by like two days and she was still penniless.

Oh please, Lord, let it be true that we're getting paid today.

She put on an outfit that would impress even Mary, a brown dress that mother had bought when Mia was still a good girl. After her expulsion, the gifts stopped coming.

She hailed a cab to Rauthbourne HQ and was stopped in the lobby by an administrative assistant who told her that she was needed in Mary's office. Alarm bells blared in her head as she ascended the stairs. What had she done wrong now?

The receptionist in Mary's waiting room smiled when she walked in; a completely different welcome than the one she'd received the last time.

"Good morning, Miss Taylor. Mrs. Rauthbourne is expecting you inside."

A bit taken aback by the respectful greeting, she nodded and moved forward to knock at the door. She waited to hear a response before she opened the door.

She was surprised to find David seated on a chair in front of Mary's desk but was quick to school her features, hoping Mary hadn't noticed. Her heart began to beat faster. How had Mary found out about her and David? Had someone been eavesdropping when he asked her to dinner?

"Have a seat, Mia," Mary said tersely.

Licking her dry lips, she lowered herself into the empty seat beside David.

If Mary wants to punish one of us, let it be me.

David had been doing good here before she came along. She wasn't about to ruin his career. If she had to go back to penury so that David could keep his job, she wouldn't hesitate to take the fall. She opened her mouth, preparing to offer an explanation, when Mary spoke up.

"Your portraits are ready."

She froze. "My what?"

Mary lifted a black-and-white photograph set in a large square picture frame. Mia looked at the photo and saw her own eyes staring back at her. "David brought in your portraits this morning, along with your portfolio." She handed the picture to Mia. "Do you like it?"

Swift relief coursed through her. Okay. So they weren't in trouble.

She glanced again at the beautiful image in her hands and refused to say the words, it's beautiful. Instead, she nodded and handed it back to Mary. "I like it."

"This will go on the wall in the Cupid suite."

"Okay."

"You and the other girls will be getting photographed for the cover of our calendar. A weekly schedule will be printed for you. Next week's is ready and you can collect it from my receptionist. Do you understand?"

"Yes ma'am."

Mary pursed her lips. "Mary. Yes, Mary."

"Right."

"That'll be all for now."

She stood, repressing the urge to glance at David. In the reception, she collected her schedule and headed upstairs. All the girls, except Taraji, were in the suite. Mia called out a general greeting before going deeper into the suite. She wanted a few moments of privacy.

As she passed by the dressing rooms, she paused when she saw her name carved into a rectangular tag on one of the doors. Walking up to it, she fingered the pink slab. Mia was etched in gold.

Wow.

It felt surreal as she opened the door to find a well-furnished dressing room decorated in baby pink with mint green accents. She walked up to the dressing table and looked into the light-studded mirror. Slowly, she lowered herself into the chair, looking around.