9

O M N I S C I E N T

FOUR YEARS LATER

"Arianna, Ariel, come on!" Aliyah yelled up the staircase to the girls as Kentrell leaned his body weight onto the marble counter.

"You got yo bags in the car?"

"For the tenth time, Kentrell—yes." Aliyah clasped her fingers together and exhaled.

"A-RI-AN-NA! A-RI-EL!" Aliyah called out again.

"Coming mommy!" A soft voice, followed by footsteps was heard as they finally showed themselves and ran down the staircase.

"Come give mama and daddy a hug, y'all finna go with your uncle."

"Where you going mommy?" Ariel asked her mother as she was picked up.

"On a vacation. We be back in a couple days, kay?" Aliyah kissed her cheeks and put her youngest daughter down. Arianna ran from her dad to her mom, squeezing Aliyah into a hug.

"Say Ken, that pink bag ova thea go with them too." Kentrell pointed to the bright pink bookbag that sat on the couch. Kendell grabbed it and put it on his back.

"You sure you gone be able to handle me until mama or somebody come?" Aliyah rose an eyebrow at Kendell.

"I'm sure, y'all act like they lil demons." He chuckled, picking up Ariel when she reached for him.

"They sweet, but it ain't just one baby—feel me? Don't think it's finna be a walk in the park. Them two day and night." Kentrell explained as he dapped his little brother up with his free hand. Kendell nodded then told them that he was getting ready to leave. The couple left out behind them, excited to get out of Baton Rouge for even a couple of days.
*

"Come on, slow walking ass." Aliyah mugged Kentrell as they got off the private jet in Montego Bay, Jamaica. They had reservations in a nice resort condominium, and Kentrell had a surprise waiting for Aliyah there. He mugged her back, grabbing the bags tight.

"Bitch, help me." He groaned, making Aliyah laugh and help him. She grabbed two bags from his hands and helped him carry them to the sports car that was waiting for them on the lot. They rushed to load the car up, since it was borderline burning up outside.

"You wanna go to the condo now, or go out first?"

"Let's go out first." Aliyah said, all smiles. Kentrell nodded and smiled back.

Aliyah and Kentrell spent the whole day happy, actually being a regular couple. They hardly got to do that at home. They were getting older, and Kentrell didn't want them to be that couple that never went anywhere just because they had kids.

"I'm tired, this sun got me bent." Aliyah sighed and looked at Kentrell. She wasn't dressed for the occasion.

"Okay, let's go to the spot then." He suggested. Kentrell had gotten someone to set up the condominium hours before, so there was no problem with that. Aliyah was shocked with the large scale building and how pretty it looked.

"Yoooo, I know this was expensive as hellllll!"

"Ion even know why you be acting surprised like I won't spend nothing on you." Kentrell wrapped his arms around her waist and buried his face into her neck, pecking it. "Now come on." He said, linking his finger with his before starting to walk to the doors.

He lead her to the condo, excited for her to see the surprise he had for her. He handed her the silver key, and she took it. She unlocked the door and opened it, looking back at him when she saw the path of rose petals leading somewhere.

"Whatchu got going on?" She asked seriously, making him laugh.

"Mane, gone in." He nudged her and she started following the trail. Of course, the trail led to the bedroom. Kentrell dug in his pocket and opened the box as she walked up on the bed, which had "MARRY ME?" spelled in pink petals.

"Kentrell..." She turned around with a shocked look.

"Well?" He tilted his head to the side as she stared at the ring. "Will you marry me?"

"Duhhhh!" She giggled, brought to tears. He put the diamond ring on her finger and she jumped into his arms, kissing him slow.
*

When Aliyah woke up the next morning, she turned onto her side to discover that Kentrell wasn't in the bed with her. Breathing in a little and realizing there was something cooking, she climbed out of the bed and slipped on a bathrobe that she found. She complained about the pain in her legs under her breath as she stepped on the rose petals from the previous night.

But seeing Kentrell in front of the stove had made the pain less noticeable, all these gestures—that whole weekend had made everything more bearable. He hadn't seen Aliyah standing in the walkway as he walked over to the counter and picked something up. She took this opportunity to embrace him and then help him.

"Whatcha cookin?" Aliyah asked.

"Wooshit, you scared me. But, jus' some breakfast shit." He shrugged, gesturing to the bacon and eggs that were already sitting on the counter. He was cooking pancake batter in the skillet pan he was in front of at that moment.

"I thought yeen know how to cook." Aliyah's face contorted into an even more confused look.

"Mama been helpin' me learn. This just simple." He said. "Gone sit down. I'll be in thea in the minute." Aliyah did just that, sitting down on the couch in the living room. Grabbing the TV remote, she cut it on and started flicking through the channels. She had gotten comfortable and found a show by the time Kentrell came in with two plates.

"Thanks." She said, sitting up and taking the plate. "You done got so sweet." She said.

"You 'n' them guhs done made a nigga get soft. Don't tell nobody I said that or imma kill you." He straight faced Aliyah, making her bust out laughing and roll her eyes. "You see the beach from the window?" Kentrell asked.

"No." Aliyah got up and went to the window, opening the window. Chills went down her spine as Kentrell stood beside her, enjoying the view.

"Damn." Was all she could breathe out as he wrapped an arm around her waist.

"I love you." Aliyah whispered to Kentrell.

"I love you more." He said back. In a split second, before Aliyah could blink, a bullet shattered the glass of the window. A sniper, from a building angled towards theirs, was sharp shooting at them. Paid by TBG.

Aliyah and Kentrell bolted for cover. However, it was too late for Kentrell. He was hit in the back of the head, making Aliyah cry out as he fell.

"Kentrell!" She yelled. "Trell, get up!" Tears streamed down her face as he laid unresponsive. She rocked behind the couch space in horror. The shooting had stopped, but Aliyah could still hear the glass shattering.

Why did life treat her this way?

_____________________