Epilogue: Is This A Good Idea?

"This is not a good idea." I tell Dante.

He shrugs. "We're going anyway."

I sigh and get into his car, wondering why I'm going along with this. It's been a year since I last saw him and I don't know what possessed me to agree to go to this basketball game with him when he asked me. I told my friends it's because I need a break from college but I know they saw through my bullshit.

I think it's just because I miss him a lot. Being around Dante was great and I really took it for granted when we were together. Now he's a big shot baseball player and even though we are still "friends" (whatever the hell that means), I never get the chance to see him anymore.

"You know, you should be excited. This is the NBA Kennedy! Court side seats!"

"The Knicks are shit."

"You're breaking my heart."

I almost ask again but I hold my tongue. The conversation dwindles and I lean back in my chair.

When we broke up, I vowed that I would find a way to avoid being alone with him at all costs. Knowing myself, I'd probably just become a crying mess and even though I have not cried in forty three days (it's a record), I can feel my eyes prick with tears as I think of all the good times we had. Maybe this can be another good time before I go back to avoiding him.

"How's college going?" He asks. I shrug.

"There's so much to do before I graduate and all I wanna do is sleep." I admit.

He chuckles. "Hope I'm not taking up too much of your time."

"Oh no. I'd probably be procrastinating in some other way, at least with you I'm guaranteed to have fun."

Dante smiles to himself. I don't know what he's thinking. I wish he'd tell me because I don't know if it's appropriate to ask.

"What made you wanna bring me to a Knicks game anyway? You know I hate them."

"Your irrational hatred for the New York Knicks has to be deeprooted in something."

"The Nets are better."

"You're shitting me, right?" He cackles as he approaches traffic. Dante turns to me with his stupid little mustache and shakes his head. "You're actually shitting me."

I fold my arms and look away. "I am very serious. The Brooklyn Nets are the superior New York team."

"Kennedy, that's like saying the Kings are better than GSW. We both know it ain't true."

"Oh whatever." I roll my eyes but look to him again. We make brief eye contact and he smiles again. This time I almost slip up and ask him about what he's thinking but I manage to control myself again. I don't like that I've lost that privilege but I have to live with it.

"What are you thinking?" He asks me.

Huh. Maybe I haven't lost that privilege.

"About how bad this game is about to be." I joke. The exasperated look he gives me in the mirror is almost funny. Almost. "I kid, I kid. I was just thinking about the last time we hung out."

"Oh." He clears his throat. "That was a while ago."

"Yeah. Tyler and Stacy's anniversary."

"Did you see that coming at all?" He asks me. Even though I saw it from a mile away, I shake my head no to make him feel better. "I didn't either. Like... at all. At all. He didn't even talk about it with me!"