Lothal Part Two

Here is the long overdue chapter with a surprise at the end. Please enjoy. 

Later that night the teen sighed laying his son down.

"Something on your mind?" Morad asked.

"I don't know," he said turning to face the man. " I haven't even been on the planet a day, I already messed up. I have no idea what I'm doing."

The older man smiled in sympathy.

"Hey no parent ever has a clue when placed in a new situation. At least you and the boy are safe and tomorrow we can talk to Joe."

"I'm worried that he won't let me keep Ezra with me. After what happened with Janus, I don't want him far. Heh, I even tried leaving him with friends who would take care of him, but I couldn't do it. He's all I have. "

Morad placed a comforting hand on the younger's shoulder.

"Don't worry, I know both Joe and the owner. All you have to do is explain your situation and they will do what they can," he said giving his shoulder a squeeze.

Kanan nodded before letting out a huge yawn.

"Get some sleep," the man chuckled. "Can't show up to an interview half dead on your feet."

Nodding Kanan, crawled into bed. After the lights went out the teen waited for Morad to fall asleep. Once he did Kanan's eyes snapped open.

"I promise Ezra," he whispered taking the boy's small hand. "No matter what happens I'm gonna make sure you stay safe."

The baby giggled in his sleep causing the other to smile.

"Good night Baby Boy," he said kissing Ezra's hand and allowed his eyes to slip shut.

The next morning Kanan was greeted to smell of bacon and what he hoped was eggs. Cracking his eyes open he almost thought the past few weeks was a dream and they were back on Garel. The unfamiliar room told him otherwise. Sitting up Kanan stretched sighing in relief when several places in his back popped. Twisting around he grinned seeing the small child sleeping soundly. 

"Good morning," a deep voice said from the side. 

Looking back Kanan smiled realizing Morad had a fresh pot caff ready to go. 

"Good morning," he replied. "What's going on?" 

The older man chuckled nodding toward the empty seat. 

"Up an atem Son; you're interview is in a couple of hours." 

"How did...I mean...I uh.." 

Kanan blushed realizing that his brain was malfunctioning due to lack of sleep. 

"Come on Kanan," Morad said holding a cup out to him. "Let Ezra sleep a little longer." 

Deciding that was the best option the teen slid out of bed and walked over to the table taking the offered drink. 

"Mmm," he hummed letting the caff spread its healing warmth over his tired muscles and felt his brain start to wake up. 

"How old are you exactly?" Morad asked after a few minutes of silence. 

"Almost 17," Kanan said shrinking back. 

He immediately kicked himself for telling the truth because most people looked down on him and Ezra when they realized how young they really were. No doubt Morad would think the same. 

"Hmm, a bit young but I'm pretty sure you'll do a great job," the man said with a smile. "Not many men as young as you stick around when saddled with a child."