48. What do girls like?

I hope you'll have fun reading this chapter as much as I had fun writing it 😆😉😝

Btw I love the deeper insight into Lukas' mind in this version ... do you? 🤔😉

🔥🔥🔥

LUKAS

"Flowers?" Corinne scoffed in my ear as I entered the building. "You bought her flowers?"

"Yeah, isn't that a universal apology?" I glanced at the bunch of white orchids in my left hand.

"Only if you're a cheater." My best friend laughed mockingly, making me regret I ever called her to ask for advice.

Normally, I love her ruthless sarcasm, but this day has been one of the worst of my life, especially after Tara said we were done, I wasn't really in the mood for mockery. I rolled my eyes just as the elevator doors opened. "Well, the florist said white orchids are ideal for an apology when heavy words were thrown around and-"

"Flowers do nothing." Corinne scoffed. "Flowers are like, the most ridiculous apology ever, Luke. Who are you, some cheating husband from the '50s?" She mocked. "Besides, have you seen a single flower or plant in the apartment ever since you moved in?"

"Well, no, but-"

"What does that tell you?"

Sighing, I headed to the trashcan near the elevator, and threw the white orchids into it. "She hates flowers."

"Bingo." Corinne laughed. "Seriously, you're so smooth with women, yet with this girl you keep on making one mistake after the other."

"Well, it's different," I admitted, dropping back against the wall beside the trashcan, "I've never needed to work this hard to get a girl."

"Because it was bang-wham-goodbye." My friend laughed way too hard at my dilemmas. "Getting girls for one night or ... in your case a few weeks, is super easy for someone with your looks, babe. But love? That's a whole different animal."

"I never said-"

"Oh, shush, you're in love with her, stop denying it." Corinne scoffed. "And I mean, it's not the revelation of the century, you know." She claimed. "Based on what you told me, you legit stalked this girl in high school, then you moved in with her with some bullshit excuse ... there's actually a fine line between love and obsession, babe, and you almost crossed it."

"Hey, that's not fair." I complained. "I'm not obsessed, I just ..."

"Love her." Corinne laughed mockingly. "Love, love, love ..." she sang, "Lukey is in love, love, love ..."

"I hate you sometimes."

She guffawed. "You know you love me way too much to mean that." She paused strategically. "But I bet even I would come only after your precious Tara."

"It's a different kind of love."

"Ah-ha! You admit it's love, then!"

I rolled my eyes, sighing. "Fine ... yes, I love her. As in, I'm deeply, madly, foolishly in love with her." I'll admit it felt good to say it out loud to someone instead of letting the words roam in my head endlessly.

"Well, so, go get her." Corinne suggested simply. "But not with flowers, Jesus, no ... and probably not jewels either. She doesn't sound like the jewels type."

"You don't even know her."

"Well, you don't either if you bought her flowers."

"I was desperate, okay?" I whined, feeling sick to my gut. "I've been an absolute jackass and I hurt her so bad. Sorry just doesn't cut it. Hell, she didn't even want to hear it. So, I thought ... I don't know, maybe a gift would help."