Change

Hours passed with me still sitting, thinking. It wasn't until Master came in that I saw the darkness through my window. "Did you not move for the passed 4 hours?"

My face went beet red. While he didn't seem too angry, I still felt heavily embarrassed. "I'm sorry, Sir. I just spaced out." He just waved it off. He then gestured behind him, directing my attention to a girl just below my height. Rolls of dark brown hair faded into a baby blue by her shoulders, contrasting the black maid's dress that hugged her body, only to poof out below the waist. I took in every detail, her shape, size, everything that I could drink in at once. She was pretty.

"I came to introduce you to Orla. She is the maid here, and you are to treat her with respect. If you have questions or problems, go to her first. That is all." He shooed Orla out, lingering for a moment before turning back to me. "Annora, I thought I told you to wear your collar at all times. Did I miss a rule?"

A shiver ran down my spine as panic began to set in. The first day, and I was already going to get it. "Oh, no... I'm sorry, Sir, I-I uh... heh... I must have, uh, forgotten... I'm s-sorry. It won't happen again, I... I'll put it on right away, Sir!" Master was there before I could move.

"Just don't forget again, I'm giving you the privilege of choice, I could easily take it away," he remarked, giving me a side glance. His hands continued searching through the dresser as he spoke, "how long has it been since you've taken a shower? Like, a proper shower, Annora?"

I shrugged, "too long... since before the pet shoppe."

"You've been there for 2 months, Annora." I swear, every time he says my name, I flinch. He stopped shuffling through my dresser, tossing some clothes on the bed, beside me. "Come on."

I was guided out of my room, down the hall, passed what Master said was Orla's room, into his own. I was then stripped and sat in a fairly large bathtub. Before I could protest, Master was scrubbing fruity-scented shampoo in my hair. Honestly, it felt great. "Disgusting. So much dirt and grease, it must've felt awful." I nodded.

He finished bathing me, drying me off, and giving me my outfit. Just some high-waisted jeans with a navy green t-shirt. The collar was basil green, with a silver loop on the front. Though not uncomfortable, it was something to get used to. That was when a knock echoed through the house.

Master left, telling me to stay put. I waited for a minute or two, listening to the sound of a door opening, and then shuffling of feet. "Annora," Master called. My feet were quick to respond, the panic of just an hour before still lingering.

"Yes Sir?" I asked politely, taking deep breaths, while watching the floor.

"This is Dr. Williams. She will be giving you your vaccines."

What?