Chapter 17 - Basketball

The next few days went past really, really slow. Maybe the world hates me or something, I don't know.

Well, anyway. After an absolutely agonising couple of days, it was the day of Sora's basketball match. The match was at 6pm, but as soon as school finished, I rushed home to get ready.

I eyed my bruise in the mirror. It was still quite bad. Still very, very visible. Everyone at school was asking me about it. After a while of saying things like "I saved an infant from the jaws of a crocodile" and "I got this in the battlefield, fighting to release my comrade", I got tired and just said I fell.

I changed into basketball shirts and a jersey. They were light blue, with large white patches of fabric on the sides and some black seams. The team was written in black and the number printed in white. Every time I wear it I feel like Kise Ryouta, which makes my inner Kuroko no Basuke fangirl scream.

But my jersey was a legitimate basketball team. Sora and I played basketball together quite a bit when we were younger. He joined a basketball team in our first year of middle school. I wasn't really up for joining a basketball team myself at the time and the girl's team was so weak I could not handle it. So I would just play with the boys basketball team a couple of times a week during their training.

I think at least half of that team had asked me out. Maybe the fact that I wasn't afraid to break a nail or ruin my hair made me suddenly 1000 times more attractive.

So I never really joined a basketball club, I just participated a lot in Sora's basketball training. Thankfully, when Sora entered a new team in high school, they allowed me to join in their practise. When they got their new jerseys, they got me one too, like I was a part of the team. I was actually so happy that I did some flips on the court and held a party at my house.

The number printed on the back of the jersey was 4. Sora's was 5. I tied my hair into a ponytail and pinned my fringe to the side.

I rushed to Subaru's room and knocked. There was no reply. "Suuuubbaaaarrrruuuuu, you in there?" I droned. Still no reply. I went downstairs to see Tsubaki, Masaomi and Ukyo sitting on the couch and talking.

They halted their conversation as I walked in.

"Ukyo, Masaomi, I'm going out to my friend's basketball game soon. Is that okay?" I asked.

They nodded, telling me to call if I needed a lift or was staying longer than planned.

"Um, I was supposed to go with Subaru, have you seen him anywhere?"

The two shook their heads, then left to do their own things.

I looked to Tsubaki, who had his phone out. "Tsuba-"

I stopped midsentence as a bright light blinded me.

SNAP.

"What was that?" I rubbed my eyes.

Tsubaki was now laying on the couch, admiring something on his phone.

"Hey. Did you... Did you take a picture?" I inquired, feeling a little self-conscious.

Tsubaki smiled to himself. "Yup~"

I swiped the phone out of his hands and he protested. I had to admit, the picture was pretty good. But something was missing.

"Ah, but this won't do, Tsuba-chan."

"Yui please~ Please don't delete it! You look so cute, too..." he pleaded.

I wasn't going to delete it, I had something else in mind. I plopped down beside to him and pulled him next to me. I smiled and held up my fingers in a 'peace' sign. I snapped the photo.

I looked at it and Tsubaki looked quite bewildered in the image.

"Haha, awwwww, Tsubaki look at you, you're so adorable~" I teased as I showed him the picture.

He took the phone to see the image. His eyes lingered on the screen and his face turned slightly pink.

"Proper one now?" I nodded and we took another picture.

He showed me the picture proudly. "Amazing, Tsubaki. Send me a copy of that one." I admired the picture of the two of us smiling happily.

"But what if I don't want to?" he teased.

I looked at him with puppy-dog eyes.

"Pleeeaassse, Tsuba-chan?"

He stared blankly and nodded, dazed. "S-Sure."

"Thank you~ and have you seen Subaru?"

"He's training with his team at his university."

"Thanks a lot Tsubaki~ You're the best!" I winked and ran off.

He came to his senses and called behind me. "W-Wait- That wasn't fair!"

"Bye everyone!" I shouted as I stuffed my tickets into my basketball shorts and slipped on my shoes.

I headed down the path. I remember Meiji University since Sora played there quite a few times. I got lost. Not as much as usual, but still. When I reached the gates I smiled, satisfied.

I heard some yelling and a whistle. I followed to noise to find a bunch of guys playing basketball. Yui, you are on a roll.

I walked to the court and spotted Subaru. He saw me and tripped a little, before continuing dribbling the ball and shooting a three-pointer. I clapped loudly and cheered. "Go Subaru!"

The game lasted a while. It was about 5pm when the match ended. As Subaru jogged to me, I realised that I hadn't spoken to him at all since the time I basically threatened to end his life. Whoops.

"What are you doing here?" he asked as I handed him a bottle of water and a towel I'd taken from a bag I'd identified as his.

He took a big swig of the water and handed it back to me, taking the towel and wiping his face.

"Well, you see. Today is Thursday. And you said you'd go with me to my friend's match. So, hay presto, I'm here to escort you."

"You're... Not mad at me?"

"I was, but we're cool now, right?" I smiled.

He smiled back gently and looked down. "Y-Yeah."

"I see you got my present," I said, indicating to the bottle in my hand, the one I'd bought for his birthday. "Don't you love it?"

"Yeah, thank you. The card was... Nice too," he said as his face reddened.

"Glad you liked it, I made it especally for you. WIth my skills and brilliance and whatnot," I said conceitedly. "Go on. Praise me."

"It was... Really... G-Good," he said bashfully.

"So the game's in an hour, you coming?" I asked hopefully.

He smiled and nodded. "Y... eah."

Suddenly, Subaru's teammates began crowding around us.

"Who's this, Subaru, your girlfriend?"

"She's really pretty, how'd you manage to pull it off?"

"Isn't she a bit young for you?"

Subaru looked exasperated and one of the members turned to me.

"Do you play basketball?"

I smirked. "Heck yes I play basketball."

"1 on 1, first to score?" he challenged.

I placed Subaru's bottle in his hands and looked my challenger right in the eye.

"You. Are. On."