Chapter 36 - Silent Guardians

He seemed to sparkle as the words left his mouth.

"Yui, care to dance?"

His hair was so wonderfully styled, and his suit was perfect. He just looked overall perfect.

But the smile he gave me as he held out his hand rendered me speechless.

I stared at him without moving an inch.

"Yui?"

I snapped out of my trance and became fully aware of the situation I was in. "Uh, y-yeah, sure."

I took his hand and he led me to the dance floor. Most of the people on it were couple who laughed and smiled at each other while they waltzed around. I also noticed some of the brothers dancing with acquaintances and also with Ema.

Sora placed his other hand gently on my hip and I put mine on his shoulder nervously. I don't remember being this sensitive to touching Sora, nor him touching me. He seemed to notice my slight discomfort as we were dancing. "Don't worry. Relax," he whispered.

His voice was so soothing that my nerves calmed down.

"How've you been?" he asked.

"I've been..." I started, remembering the blonde boy and my nightmares and getting lost at the city. I considered telling him, but I remembered we were at a wedding and it's not really the place to talk about something like that. "... Fine," I finished after the briefest of pauses. "What about you? Anything cool happen?" I smiled.

Sora was sceptical. But he also picked up that it was neither time nor place to discuss it. He was also the kind of person that wouldn't pressure you to share. However, he was one of those people that you were just compelled to tell things to, so even if he didn't press the issue, the details would come to light anyway.

"The basketball team's going to be participating in an inter-school basketball tournament. It starts in a couple of weeks," he said proudly.

"That's awesome! How many schools are competing?"

"Hmm. I think it was 16 all-up. There are some real powerhouses competing. I can't wait for our first match!"

"I bet you guys'll do great! You've been training super hard, I'm sure you'll thrash all the teams there."

"Hey, come and cheer us on?" He suggested, eyes sparkling.

"I do have a life, Sora," I mentioned.

He tilted his head to one side and gave me his puppy dog eyes.

I felt the need to resist even further because I didn't want to give in so easily.

"Nope," I said and turned from his gaze adamantly.

He started to whimper. 

I faltered and met his eyes again, and the whimpering just made me give in. "Okay, fine."

"Thank you, Yui-chan~!" He said with a bright smile.

"Yeah, yeah," I mumbled, a little angry at myself for giving in so easily. However, even if he hadn't asked me, I would've invited myself. Like I said, I've never missed a match and I don't intend to start.

"Yui..."

"Sora..."

We both said at the same time.

"You go first," Sora offered.

"You look really good today."

He puffed out his chest and had an egotistical grin plastered on his face. "And you're only noticing that now?"