chapter eleven

It had been a long, tiring and boring day for the group, everyone was exhausted and ready to sleep. All they did was trudge through the thick sands in the sweltering hot weather.

Elodie had her sleeping bag laid on the ground ready for her to jump in and fall asleep, which she was very tempted to do. She was in her usual, comfy spot in between Newt and Luke.

The night before felt like a dream after her horrid nightmare, but Elodie felt a more intense level of anxiety when someone mentioned his name or the two met eyes.

She laid down on her bed for the night and was ready for sleep to take over her body.

"Wait guys." Elodie wiggled and turned over next to her and saw Newt in a tight upright position looking over the scorch. "Look over there." He pointed straight in front of them in the far distance.

She squinted her eyes and realised there were two figures running towards their group, but one held onto the other tightly.

"Help!" The upstanding figure shouted, Elodie then felt a rush of familiarity from the tone of the voice. She recognised it from somewhere.

"Probably just cranks. They look good as dead anyway." Minho shrugged his shoulders and went back to his sleeping position, as did everyone else.

"Elodie! Luke! Help!"

They called their names, Elodie felt a wave of shock and confusion at how these mysterious figures knew her and her brother's names. She glanced at Luke who had the same reaction. She listened to the continuous screams and pieced together the similar tone and accent from her past.

"Mel." Elodie said to Luke, who's eyes immediately lit up at the name, then softened into sad, pupils.

"There's no way, she's dead, like the rest of them." Luke closed his mind off to the idea, but Elodie knew he had a spark of hope that flickered inside him.

"Um, who's Mel?" Newt asked from behind Elodie.

"She's from our maze, one of our closest friends. Well the closest to Luke." She gave her brother a playful punch, "She was the next person who arrived after us in the Clear."

"Come on Luke, we have to hurry, one of them looks hurt.." Elodie got up and got ready to jog to them.

"Woah, woah, woah." Minho decided to hop into the conversation. "You can't just expect them to be your friends, they might be spies or tricks from WICKED."

"I can recognise their voices anywhere." Elodie assured him.

"Are you positively sure it's them Elodie?" Thomas asked her, thankfully saving the conversation.

"Yes."

Newt and Thomas exchanged a quick, unreadable look and then nodded at the two siblings, who immediately jogged to the two figures.

The closer they got, the more Elodie could see of the two figures. The silhouette becoming clear and into a proper image, the two moved awfully slow with one of them clutching on to the other for dear life.

As she grew closer she recognised the dark curly that surrounded one of their heads and she smiled, it was Mel, it was an unreal feeling that flooded her system.

Elodie also recognised the body holding on to Mel, it was Jack. Elodie felt the emotions get to her as she saw him.

Jack was like a little brother to Elodie, he was the kindest person around and she mentored him back in the Clear. She could recognise his dark and ruffled hair easily.

"She's got Jack." Elodie got out through quickened breaths, "Can you carry him, he's in bad shape."

"I can do it." Luke answered, "Is it definitely them two?"