chapter eighteen

The screams were deafening, they sounded all too familiar to when Elodie's maze had been raided, by the exact same people. 

"How did they find us?!"Elodie shouted to Newt. 

"I dunno, but we gotta go help the others, they're still in the camp!" They made their way into t  he grounds. 

They protected themselves from the explosions that were happening all around them, Newt helped Elodie as she struggled to run, her vision also impaired by the smoke and haze. 

"Newt! Elodie!" They looked to their right and spotted Minho and Frypan hiding behind some bins, they quickly made their way over to them.

 They hunched behind and watched as guards flew down from the helicopters and began shooting people with taser shots, causing them to fall to the ground temporarily paralysed. 

"They're here. Again!" Minho screamed over the noise, his voice bursting with frustration. 

"There's Harriet and Luke!" Frypan pointed. The group made their way over to them, they were at the bottom of Vince standing on a truck shooting at as many of the soldiers as possible. Luke looked at his sister relieved and put his hand on her shoulder. 

"What can we do?!" Minho asked, his voice barely audible over the blasts.

 Vince turned to them hastily. "We need ammo! Do you know how to use these?!" He motioned to the guns in the back, the boys nodded. 

"Use 'em!" Harriet unloaded the guns and handed them to Luke, Newt, Frypan and Minho. Meanwhile, Elodie helped Vince put ammo into the machine gun. It was a hard task to do when you couldn't see very well. 

The others were doing well at fending the guards off but more and more of them circled the truck.

 "Vince, hurry up!" Newt warned. Vince had locked in the ammo but looked at his feet to see a small grenade that had been thrown into the back of the truck.

"Shit!" 

A buzz and they were all on the ground, their bodies convulsing violently. Elodie's body felt as though her body was being tortured over and over again. When it stopped, she could not feel a single bone in her body and was unable to move anything. That's when the guards took each of them and secured their hands behind their backs with  handcuffs. 

****

They were taken to where everyone had been rounded up, when she could finally move Elodie looked around for her friends. She spotted Sonya and Aris a few rows down she was placed next to Newt who looked at her concerned and in front of Minho, Frypan and Luke. Her brother looked at her with glazed eyes and a dirtied face, he half-smiled trying to comfort his sister as he always tried to do.

"We're back to the maze." 

"Elodie, are you okay? Your ankle, is it okay? Hey she's injured over here!" Newt shouted forcefully to the guards who had no interest.

"I'm fine Newt, are you?" She asked him, her voice raspy and dry.

"This is it Elodie, we've lost." He shook his head in defeat.

"It's not over Newt, have hope." She tried to smile at him. She could sense the three boys watching the exchange from behind in confusion and Elodie found herself smirk a little

A man with a scanner came around to check people's tags. 

He pushed Elodie's heard forward with force and she grunted in response.

"Hey!" Newt said. He continued in the line. 

She looked to the front of her and Janson stood there as smug as ever and made eye contact with the group and smirked, Elodie's hatred for him felt out of control. They counted how many people were rounded up.