16.

The new Greenie showed up this morning—another boy. Again. Katie had had enough of the people coming up. It didn't matter that they were guys; she just didn't want any more people.

She didn't want to have to talk to them when they came to work in the kitchen during their first week. She didn't want to be introduced to them and have them look at her weirdly because she was the only girl. She didn't want them to be weirded out when she didn't talk to them. She didn't want more people. Period.

But, considering her situation, things didn't really go the way Katie wanted them to. Adding on to that, Newt started acting weird around her, and she wasn't sure why. He kept a physical distance from her now, but he still asked her questions to get her to talk. He knew she didn't like talking, but he repeatedly tried to get her to answer questions about him and what she thought of him. Honestly, Katie thinks that Newt is trying to get something out of her, but she's not sure what, and she wishes he would just ask straight up. She despised it when people were evasive.Signing is always straight-forward.

Not only that, he stopped sleeping with her, and every time she asked, he would make up an excuse. Yet he told her he liked sleeping with her, so his suddenly contradicting himself was, quite frankly, pissing her off.

Today was the day the greenie would be working in the kitchen. As usual, Katie was the first person in the kitchen to make breakfast, followed by the Greenie. He had black hair that went down to his shoulders, tanned skin, a hooked nose, and a scar on the left side of his chin.

"Hi, I'm Owen." He greeted Katie with a small smile, and she just nodded and went back to what she was doing. "You're Katie, right?"

Katie nodded again, ignoring the boy. He stood awkwardly in the doorway, hands clasped behind his back, as he shifted his weight from foot to foot. Eventually, Katie got annoyed by his doing nothing and picked up the giant pot, waddled to the stove, and placed it on the burner next to the bag of oats. She turned to Owen and pointed at the pot.

As Katie moved back to the sandwiches, the Greenie snapped out of his haze and scrambled to the pot, only to stare at it for 10 seconds.

"Uhh," he chuckled awkwardly, "I don't know how to make oatmeal."

Katie looked at him; she didn't want to teach him how to make oatmeal, nor did she want him screwing up the sandwiches for the runners. Instead, she walked to the stove, took the pot away, and replaced it with a pan and a carton of eggs.

"In the fridge?" Owen asked, and Katie furrowed her eyebrows. Was he trying to get her to talk as well? It was annoying.

She nodded.

"Look, Alby told me you don't talk." Owen seemed to read Katie's mind. "So don't worry, I'll ask yes-or-no questions, and you can just nod or shake your head, okay?"

Katie dropped the knife she was holding and looked at Owen. Confusion littered her face at his idea; it was brilliant. It was so simple, and yet no one could do it; everyone wanted her to talk. She liked this. Katie nodded her head, and Owen smiled before pointing at the pan.

"Scrambled?" he asked.

Katie nodded with a smile.

~*~

Nighttime came, and Katie sat by her log as usual. Owen didn't try to get Katie to talk, which she deeply appreciated; however, he wasn't very good in the kitchen, so she knew he wouldn't be placed there. It was fine either way.

As Katie picked at her food, a familiar presence took a seat beside her.

"Is it true you didn't speak today at all?" The accented voice cut through the air.

Katie nodded and looked at Newt, who sat a whole two feet away from her. She looked down at the ground between them before glaring at Newt. She was fed up, completely fed up, with the way Newt was acting.

I'm not stupid; she signed.

Newt's eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"Nah, of course not," he said in defense. "I know that."

Katie made an outward motion with her hand from her mouth, indicating spit it out.

Newt's face was now expressionless.His head turned left, then right, as if looking to make sure no one was watching. Then he stood up. His hand held out for Katie's, and, after a couple seconds of inspection, she grabbed it. Newt lifted her up and led her away, holding her hand with two fingers as he always did.

He took her to Homestead, knowing it would be empty. Normally, Katie would have been suspicious, but because it was Newt and she wanted answers, she let him in. They went up to Newt's room, a place Katie hadn't been for a couple weeks. It felt odd, yet everything was exactly the same.

Newt closed the door and leaned against it, blocking Katie's only way out. They stared at each other.

"I like you," Newt said.

Katie furrowed her eyebrows and cocked her head. She nodded her head, but Newt sighed.

"No, I like you; I have feelings for you." He clarified, and Katie was just more confused.

She stood silent for a few seconds. Newt waited for some kind of response while Katie processed what he said.

She signed, and Newt raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms.

"How do I like you?"

Katie nodded.

"Shucks, Katie, I don't know." He became exasperated, and Katie crossed her arms to mirror him.

"Then how do I know if I like you?" She asked in a full sentence.

Newt pinched the bridge of his nose, taking a breather as he knew this was going to be difficult. After a minute, he looked up, grabbed Katie's hands, and led her to the bed, where they both sat. Newt took a deep breath.

"Your voice is beautiful; every time you speak, it sounds like a song." He started. "I hate when those slintheads flirt with you; it makes me mad." I can't stand the thought of you getting hurt. I want to hold you, and I want to be the only one holding you. "I know you don't talk, love, but please -- I beg you -- talk to me right now."

Katie stared into Newt's eyes, pleading and hopeful. He really needed her to talk to him, and despite the decision she made for herself that talking was bad, she could try. really try. For him.

"What do you need me to say?"

Newt seemed to let out a breath he was holding.

"Tell me, really tell me, what distinguishes me from the others to you."He explained.

Katie thought for a moment before opening her mouth. Her body shook slightly, but she powered through for Newt.

"I save you food because I'm worried you don't eat; I don't worry if Minho eats." "I like sleeping with you; I like the way you hold me." Katie needed to take a few deep breaths because she was shaking violently. Newt pulled Katie close to him and wrapped his arms around her, running a hand up and down her back. Katie tried to calm herself so she could continue. "I feel most secure with you."I don't like when you leave. I look for you when I get scared. I don't want anyone else when I'm scared. "I want you."

Tears started streaming down Katie's cheeks. That was the most she has ever spoken, and she hated it. Her breathing was uneven, getting caught in her throat and not making it to her lungs. Her body shook, and tears rolled freely down her cheeks. She grabbed onto Newt's shirt and buried her face into it as Newt started speaking to her.

"I'm so sorry, love." He cooed as he rocked her back and forth, waiting for her to calm.

"N-Newt." Katie breathed in deeply.

"Mhm?" He hummed.

"I think I like you."