Chapter 2 - Dinner Date

I am preparing for my first class on Monday morning and between sips of coffee I indulge in self-absorbed grins as I relive my weekend. Aiden called me on Saturday night, after his children were sleeping in bed, and then again on Sunday morning before they woke, and then finally on Sunday night, again once they were in bed. We talked for hours and hours, about everything and yet nothing, but it felt right, comforting and comfortable. Aiden told me several times that he wished he was with me, that he could see me, but he couldn't. His children come first and as disappointing as that was it was also reassuring that he was a nice man and a good dad. My phone vibrates on my desk and I have a message, from Aiden.

<Morning. Do you want to meet up tonight? We could have dinner, and kiss, I've missed kissing you. X>

I am grinning as I respond.

<Morning. Would love to, have missed being kissed by you, dinner is optional. X>

<Dinner is necessary. Pick you up at 7. Have a good day. X>

"Here she is!" calls Maxine as she charges into my classroom. "So?" she asks with a big grin and even bigger enquiring eyes.

"So, nothing," I reply coyly making my friend laugh.

"Oh my God! Did you shag him?" The bluntness of her words make me laugh loudly.

"No, no I didn't, but I can't tell you that I haven't thought about it, many times."

"Oh my God!" repeats Maxine making me laugh again.

"We're having dinner tonight and I will say no more than that, now I have Year 10 bottom set for double English first thing so bugger off to your own classroom," I say with mock firmness in my voice.

"You've changed," my friend chastens with her own mocking tone making me smile as she leaves me alone again.

By the end of the school day I am sitting at my desk with a cup of tea and looking at a huge pile of controlled assessments to mark.

"Can I come in?" comes a familiar voice.

I look up and find Miller standing in the doorway.

"Yeah, course. You ok?" I ask wondering what my ex-husband might want, after all the head of PE is unlikely to have anything professional to discuss with me.

"Regan and I had a meeting this afternoon," Miller reveals making me frown as I try to figure out how this affects me. "He was saying you went out with Maxine on Friday night, into town."

"Right? And this involves you or Regan how?" I feel irritation rising now.

"Just be careful, that's all I'm saying. You don't know this guy from Adam and well you're new to single life."

I stare at my ex-husband giving me ridiculous advice and I see red, yet somehow speak calmly to him. "You have no right to do this. You are my ex-husband, we are not a couple, we are not best friends and what or who I do is no concern of yours, so mind your own bloody business." My snapped response is followed by the stacking of my pupil's work on my desk before grabbing my bag and grey jacket that matches the pencil skirt I'm wearing.

I push past Miller with an angry stare and shake of my head and then turn to face him.

"Just how many women have you fucked since we separated? Or is that irrelevant and none of my business? Like your new girlfriend?" I ask knowing I have shocked him with that information.

Regan told Maxine who mentioned it to me, almost accidentally that Miller had met someone special after several months of shagging anything with a pulse when we first parted.