4

August

I always found the first week back to school to be the worst. Settling in to a new timetable, figuring out which rooms each class would be in and overall just trying to get back into the swing of things was exhausting. It was beyond me why anyone would want to hold a party on the first Friday night back to school. Well, not really. I guess it sort of made sense.

Celebrating a new year maybe?

The wish of good luck to all of us?

To mark the definitive end of summer?

Who knows.

Either way, I was going. I didn't mind parties that much. It was one of those rare days where I was feeling up to it and I wanted to go. So here I am getting ready. Parties tended to be easy for me so long as I didn't go to too many at once. I mingled, made fleeting friendships and drank heartily. Enough to give me a confidence boost but not too much that would put me in any danger. Just the perfect amount.

I slowly decide on dressing myself into a cute, lace black bralette with a black mesh top, leather look sweatpants and an oversized cream blazer. I pull the cuff of the joggers up my leg a little so that they look slightly slouchy and then move onto my makeup. I adorn my cheeks with a nice pink tint, eyeliner and of course concealer. Then, once my phone is in my pocket I head downstairs to grab my keys and put on a pair of white sneakers.

I loved driving. It was one of the best escapes after a long day at school, or a draining day at home. You could go wherever you wanted when you drive and I guess that's why I was in such a rush to get a car. My car was bought for me and I really do treat it like it's my baby. Sarah hates driving, which is precisely the reason she's sat waiting on our couch ready to leave.

We both enjoyed parties to an extent. Even if we did lose each other for a few hours, it was fun. And today of all days we were definitely ready to go.

"BYE!" I shout out to anyone who can hear me in the house and then make my way outside with a grinning Sarah beside me.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing how this school year goes." She says.

"Honestly," I start the car and rev it a little, "same."

The party was being held by Dwaine. One of Noah's best friends, in case you didn't remember. I wasn't entirely sure of where to go, but that was okay because Jake had messaged Sarah with the directions.

After around fifteen minutes of driving, we reach a nice row of large houses, each looking identical with big windows and balcony's. The thumping beat of music easily indicated which house it was that we were going to, as did the lingering teenagers. I park the car a few houses away and Sarah and I make our way to the party, full of energy and excitement.

We barely make it into the house when I hear a loud shout from the left.

"LITTLE V!"

I drag my eyes away from the grand staircase in front of me and beam at Blake as he sprints towards me lifting me off the ground in a hug.

You see, for the entire week these boys had spent every lunch break with me and I guess I had slowly edged out of my shell enough that they felt comfortable around me. Blake and Dwaine were very easy to get along with and I liked how they didn't fit the description of typical jocks. They were goofy and loud but also focused it seemed. Josh was the fourth member of their group and he was the quietest. He was also the most studious. If I can recall correctly, I had seen him in the library countless times during our previous years of school together and I'd also worked with him before in group projects. Again, a very nice guy.