6

September

The basic principles of alchemy. Alchemy was based on the belief that there are four basic elements in nature: fire, water, air and earth. It was rooted in a complex, spiritual worldview in which everything around us contains a universal spirit. Metals were believed to be alive and grow inside of the earth itself.

"NOAH!"

I almost groan at the shrill sound of Bethany's voice as she marches towards us in the library, her face red with fury. Noah let's out an annoyed grunt and whips around to face her.

"What?" He asks.

"What the fuck are you doing?" She screeches.

For the millionth time, I start to collect my things into my bag, ready to leave the library and get some work done elsewhere. Only this time, as I stand up to leave, Noah grabs a tight hold of my wrist and turns away from Bethany.

"No, wait..." he says.

My eyes go wide and I look down at my wrist, then up into his dark gray eyes and then over at Bethany who, at this point, is seething.

"I'm going to count to five, Noah, and you are going to get your arm off that leech." Her fists are by her sides and her eyes are piercing into the back of his head.

I try tugging my arm away from him but he doesn't seem to let up. In fact, his fingers curl around my wrist and dig painfully into my skin to the point where I can feel my vein being pressed.

"One..."

"Noah, we can finish this later. Honestly, it's fine." I smile at him easily.

He shakes his head.

"Two..."

"No, we won't have time to finish it up after this, I've got practice everyday. We're doing this now."

"Three..."

"Moretti, please," I pull my arm, "your girlfriend looks ready to kill me." I whisper.

She really did.

"FOUR..."

"Look, just wait outside for me..." Noah says, "please."

If it wasn't for the strange look in his eyes, I quite easily would have shook my head and run off. But there was something about it...

"Okay. I'll be at my car." I nod.

"Fi–"

Noah releases my arm and I instantly spin on my heel to leave the library. I look down at my arm with a frown and rub at the sore, red skin.

Damn, he has a strong grip.

I reach my car and settle down inside, but no less than two minutes later, I see Noah running towards me. He quickly climbs inside with a loud sigh and closes his eyes as he catches his breath.

"Sorry about that." He huffs.

"I need to get some ice." I frown.