The Gator Don't Bite...

~~~~Author's note~~~~~

Hello lovelies! Let's imagine for a minute you are the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts. It's a year before Harry Potter comes, and Professor Quirrell is off studying werewolves in Transylvania.  You had to move from the beautiful Louisiana swamps to accept the job, but you could never turn down such an adventure! But the question now is, can you fit into Hogwarts with your sweet southern drawl and cowgirl boots?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 1

It was a brisk chilly day, with nipping wind tugging at your cloak as I drug my trunk up to the front entrance of the most imposing castle you had ever seen. Back home, the swamp lands would never have held the weight of such an enormous building. Hogwarts. My new home and where I would be teaching. It was still a few days before the students arrived, but I wanted plenty of time to settle in.

"Need some help with that?" A gruff voice asked from behind you. I turned, surprised, to find a large man with a bushy beard and head of hair trudging up the path.

"Rubeus Hagrid, at your service." He extended a massive hand.

"Charlotte Catsby, pleased to meet you." I shook his hand, noticing how out of place my southern twang sounded, "And I would be most grateful to have some help."

Hagrid swung my trunk up onto one shoulder and motioned for me to follow. The front corridor was big enough to fit three of my childhood houses into it.  I couldn't help but gape at it slack jawed. 

"I'll ask a few of the house elves if they would take your things up to your room." Hagrid snapped me back into focus, "But I'm not sure...oh! Here! Professor McGonagall!" A stern looking grey hair witch with small square glasses had just appeared out of a side corridor. When she saw us, she stopped.

"Is this Miss Catsby?" She asked with a slight smile. 

"Yes ma'am," I answered, coming forward to shake her hand, "It's a pleasure to meet you."

McGonagall shook my hand, obviously taken aback by my twang.

"Have you been shown to your rooms and where you will be teaching?" She asked, glancing at Hagrid.

"No ma'am," I said, "Hagrid was just helping look for someone that could point me in the right direction. I'm hoping that's you?"

McGonagall nodded her head, "I can certainly show you where to go. Please, come this way."

As we walked, she pointed out different things and where I could find them. Her office, Dumbledore's office, the hospital wing. All the while, leading me down to the dungeons. 

"Slytherin's dorms are down this way. Over there is the potions classroom. Professor Snape teaches that. Your classroom is the door right across the hall." She led me down the hall further, "And these are your chambers, dear." 

She pushed the door open, leading me into a cozy sitting area. A fire was lit in a hearth, empty bookshelves were waiting to be filled (I had quite the collection I had brought with me). Off to the side was another door, leading into a bedroom. And yet another door led to a private bath. 

"Home sweet home." I smiled, "Thank you professor."

"Please, call me Minerva. We are colleagues after all." She said with a wave of her hand, "And professor Snape is right down the hall from you. I'm sure he will be a gracious neighbor and help you find your way around here. But, I should let you unpack and settle in. Have a good night, dear." And with that, she slipped out of the room, closing the door behind her. 

I took her suggestion and began to unpack. My trunk was sitting at the foot of my large four poster bed. Thanks to magic, my entire house, save for the kitchen sink, had came overseas with me. 

"Time to make this more like home." I whispered.

By the time I was done, it really did look like home, right down the giant alligator skull hanging above my bed. I was admiring my work when I heard footsteps down the hall. 

Carefully, I opened the door and took a peek. A very tall, dark clothed man was walking down the corridor. It had to be Professor Snape. 

"Hello, Neighbor," I opened the door wider. He stopped and turned to look at me.

"It's good to meet you. Professor Snape, I'm told? I'm Charlotte Catsby." I put on my best southern bell charm. However, all I earned was a glower.

"You will be teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts, I assume?" His tone was clipped, "How on earth did a tiny thing like you manage to get the position?"

"I specialize in Voodoo, darlin." I drawled, tossing my hair over my shoulder, "Shall I demonstrate with a hex?"

This seemed to irritate him. He stalked over until we stood nearly chest to chest.

"That little attitude might have gotten you the job I deserved, but don't for a second think you can intimidate me." He hissed down at me.

Raising an eyebrow, I retorted, "Well don't go thinking you can intimidate me either. I've killed bigger, nastier things than you. Why don't you come on in, and I'll show you the gator I got hang'n above my bed?" 

The mention of my bed seemed to throw Snape off. He sputtered for a second, then turned on his heel and stomped off towards his own chambers.

"Oh, don't you fret, darlin," I called after him, "That gator don't bite...but I sure do." 

All I got in reply was the echo of a slamming door.