The Soul of Voodoo

The students were still not expected for yet another day. Deciding to get my lesson plan ready for the first day, I fired up an old phonograph I had sitting in the corner and Bessie Smith's Blue Spirit Blues filled the room. Musky incense wafted through the room, bringing me back to the swamp lands I missed so much. My homesickness inspired me to start planning out a lesson about banshees and how to handle them. The swamps were full of banshees, it was perfect.

Just as the song switched over to John Lee Hooker's Graveyard Blues, I heard a knock at the door. Placing my notebook aside, I opened the door to find none other than Snape standing there. He took in my long black skirt, shimmery black and silver blouse and the silver scarf that kept my long dark hair out of my face.

"Why Professor Snape," I placed a hand on my hip as I leaned against the door frame, "Did you change your mind about that gator?" He grimaced at the proposal.

"No, Miss Catsby," He replied, "I heard a god awful sound and wondered if your voodoo involved...that." Snape motioned at the phonograph, still singing away the blues.

"And what on earth is wrong with the blues?" I wrinkled my nose. 

"That's what it's called?" Snape retorted, crossing his arms.

I took a step back, thoroughly offended, but before I could slam the door in his snide face, he took a step forward. In this position, I could not shut the door. Sighing, he uncrossed his arms and rubbed his eyes.

"Miss Catsby, I apologize. It's Dumbledore I should be upset with, not you." He murmured.

I sat stunned for a moment, had someone just hoodooed him?

"I suppose it's okay," I said slowly, opening the door wider, "Would you like to come in for some tea?" My manners always kicked in when my brain otherwise failed me. Snape nodded and stepped into my sitting room.

"I was just going over my lesson plan for tomorrow, would you like to take a look at it?" I asked, filling a small tea kettle in the bathroom sink and setting it over the fire to boil. Snape picked up my notebook and skimmed through it.

"First hand experience with banshees?" He questioned, glancing at me with new interest. 

"Yes, sir." I smiled at him while setting up a small tea set on the little side table by the fireplace, "They are a real problem in the swamps. I was hunting one when I got John Lee."

"John Lee?" Snape looked at me confused.

"That gator I mentioned. The one above my bed." I giggled, "He sure put a fight, but I got him in the end." Snape once again blushed at the mention of my bed.

"And you studied voodoo?" He asked, quickly changing the subject. The tea kettle whistled, and I answered as I pulled it off the fire.

"It's hard not to when you live south of New Orleans." I replied, making the tea and handing him a cup. I took a sip of my own, allowing my eyes to take him in during the brief silence. He couldn't have been more than thirty five, and looked well for his age.

Bessie Smith's Sinful Blues began to play, echoing in the quiet. Subconsciously, I began to sway in time with the music. Snape gave the phonograph a curious look.

"This is the kind of music you have back home?" He asked, listening.

"Sure is." I smiled, "Hear how it tells a story? The blues has more soul in it than any other kind of music in the world."

"I see." He said, "And what about your voodoo? Does it have...ahem...soul?"

I set my teacup down and walked closer to him, "Voodoo has soul all right, darlin. It's powerful magic. Voodoo is like a woman. She can build you up and she can tear you down. It's all in how you treat her." But the time I finished, we were almost chest to chest, his teacup the only thing separating us. Clearing his throat, Snape took a step back.

"Well...I..." He fumbled for words, setting his own teacup down and started inching for the door. This was too much fun, I couldn't help but think. He acted so high and mighty last night, it was a good change to see him like this. 

"The funny thing about voodoo," I continued, "Is she has a mind of her own. Her magic can work without anyone saying a word." 

"Interesting..." Snape said, "I should let you get back to your lesson plan. If you need any assistance, I am just down the hall."

"I'll remember that, professor," I winked at him, draping myself over an armchair. I watched him shut the door, grinning wickedly. Once the door was securely shut, I glanced at John Lee through the doorway to the bedroom. 

"He's not bad looking," I drawled, "And we both know I'm long due for some fun." John Lee didn't reply. He just grinned and grinned, like death was the best joke in the world.