Chapter 2 - Forever is a Lie

Chapter 2 – Forever is a Lie

06:37 Thursday, 7th September 2017

Moving her feet to the windowsill, Nat climbed out of her room and onto the roof. This was the best place to see the stars. The tedious task of putting a name to every visible constellation seemingly better than revisiting her nightmare. Bits and pieces from her past that she could never quite grab onto. Images and feelings, words were spoken to her from unseen people. Murderous deeds are done by figures in the dark – never coming into the light. It seemed like Hell on Earth.

But dark figures were nothing new to Nat, for she, Natasha Turner, had a shadow. A shadow not of her own. A follower. Never able to lay eyes on him, he came in the wind. He was the shadow. Who he was, she didn't know. But in many ways, Nat didn't mind him always being there. Because he was there, watching. Just watching. Always there, always watching over her.

Seventeen months after being rescued, her nightmares became more frequent, more vivid, more realistic. They were vivid and horrific, and many time Natasha had awakened believing that she was back in the Godforsaken place. But the one thing that always seemed to ground her to the present was him. The Shadow always seemed to be there. Outside her window, in her room, on top of the roof. Following her, trailing her. Always present, always there. Her protector, her Shadow.

The fuzzy glimmer of light on the horizon quickly turning into a glorious sunrise, Natasha stayed where she was. If only life could always be this simple. So small was she in comparison to the infinite size of space, in this universe, and the next.

A baby's cries woke the household. Excited talking from the lack of school, AFL Grand Final Friday was here. Scurrying back into her current residence, Nat changed into denim shorts, a Richmond Tigers polo shirt and an Adelaide Crows hoddie. Fifty bucks the Tigers win.

"Morning Nat," greeted her foster father, David. "Laura's got breakfast on," he said on his way to Cian's room. Cian, a two-year-old boy with curly blond hair, who was absolutely adorable, was the youngest child in the Ryan family.

"Do you want me to check if the twins are up?" asked Nat, knowing how chaotic mornings could be. Helping out with the morning routine became a common occurrence with Nat. Homeschool had given her a lot of free time.

"Yeah, thanks, darling."

Walking down the hall to the door that declared 'Giselle & Jacen' Nat opened it and entered. Prepared for the battle that would surely follow to get the younger kids out of bed, Nat was not ready for the Lightsaber battle she walked in on. The two six-year-olds may have had a small obsession with Star Wars. And the only thing small about their obsession is their height.

"Ahsoka! It's Lord Chaos – attack!" Jacen screamed to his sister, halting their fight.

"Right behind you master," Giselle said with a smirk on her face as she charged at Nat.

Nat waited until Giselle was close enough before side flipping out of the way. Reaching forward, Nat picked Giselle up and held her as a shield from her brother.

"Gotcha!"

"No! The ruler of the universe has taken my padawan – I will avenge you!" he said between fits of giggles.

"Nope, not today Jacen," said Nat, plucking the toy Lightsaber out of his small hands. "Time for breakfast, twins.

Coming downstairs, Nat and the twins joined Brookelyn – their nine-year-old sister – and Cian at the dining room.

"Stay here and don't blow anything up."

"'Don't blow anything up' what?" asked Brooke with a smirk.