Chapter18 - The Soldier

Chapter 18 – The Soldier

10:50 Tuesday, 17th October 2017

Slade wasn't sure if they had made a giant leap forward with trust, or if he'd just pushed the kid off a cliff backwards. Either way, he'd made her a promise, and he'd stand by it.

The poor girl looked as if she'd sold her soul to the devil.

"Come on kid," Slade held out his hand towards the cemetery exit. "You ready to go?" Slade watched the kid's eyes linger on their graves.

"Tash, you can come back and visit them at any time." The kid nodded silently and together they made their way back to Slade's car.

***********

12:40 Tuesday, 17th October 2017

Nat's eyes were glued to her window, attempting to place where Wilson was driving. She knew it was back to his 'base' wherever that was. They had been driving for about ten solid minutes passing nothing but fields and trees before the car finally began to slow. Nat looked out the front windshield and saw a large house on an even larger block of land. They were in the middle of nowhere. A forest surrounded the house. The solitary road had a turn off which lead up the driveway. There was nothing else out there. Nowhere to run.

"Is this...?"

"My house, kid. There's a base underneath it. That is where we've been the past two weeks."

She looked at him incredulously, "what, like Batman?"

Wilson stifled a chuckle, "If you like. I guess it is a little like the Batcave, isn't it?"

They pulled into the darkened garage and Nat slipped out of the car. "How many cars've you got?" she asked.

"Three." Wilson just shrugged. "Come on."

Nat frowned in confusion but followed the man anyway. How much money did this guy have? He'd have to be loaded. The house, a bunker underneath, multiple cars. She briefly wondered what sort of job would pay so well.

A hidden door slid open and flooded the garage with light.

"It's a lift, kid, it's not gonna murder you," he told her when she stopped following him. "Just get in."

Nat complied. The lift went down, and the doors opened, and Nat stepped out into the hallway. Down the other end was her room. Nat spun on the spot in confusion. Had that always been there?

"Weren't we just-was this always... what?"

"Kid, two words." Wilson dropped his hands onto her shoulders. Nat didn't have time to pull away. How had she never noticed it before?

"I'm Batman."

Nat's eyes widened comedically. The money, the secret base, the weapons, and he was unnaturally skilled in combat. Batman is a comic book character. The smirk tugging at his lips told Nat that he was joking. Although it was kind of unnerving how accurately he fit the description. What in the actual heck had she gotten herself into?

Wilson turned her around by her shoulders and gave her a gentle nudge in the direction of her room. "Go get changed kid, I'll get lunch sorted."

Nat turned back and stared at the lift. Nothing. There wasn't a shred of evidence to would suggest that it wasn't a solid wall. How many more rooms were hidden by false walls and secret doors?

Was there a hidden entrance in the training room? What about in her room? Perhaps she could even ask Slade how many hidden areas there was. Maybe over time, she'd even be able to find them all. Then Nat caught herself; no, she wouldn't be staying here long enough to do any of that. She never stayed anywhere. It didn't matter what Wilson said. Adults always lied.