Chapter 17 - The Bargin

Chapter 17 – The Bargain

09:13 Tuesday, 17th October 2017

The sun beaming down through the clouds, reflected off the child's bright red hair, making it appear more vibrant than Slade had ever seen it. She'd pulled the front parts of her hair into a bun at the back of her head, leaving her face free from the curtain she so often hid behind.

The two of them stood a little further away from the rest of the small crowd. Another man stood under the cover of the trees, observing the pair from a distance. The sun was warm, but not overly unpleasant. For Natasha, it had been over a week since she'd seen the sun, and she was soaking up every second of warmth that she could. It didn't seem right that such a beautiful day could hold so much sadness. Wasn't it meant to rain at funerals? Why wasn't the sky sad?

Slade stood behind the child; her black dress cut off at her knees. He was dressed in a black suit; his eyes were shaded by black sunglasses. He had required the girl to wear the sunnies he had provided her as well. It wouldn't do either of them any good if someone saw the kid. If she were recognised it would be game over. But Slade didn't have to see her eyes to know that Tasha was hurting. He knew how much she cared for her old foster family, despite however many times she tried to convince herself otherwise. And even worse, Slade knew that the kid would be blaming herself for their deaths. He could see her pain, though her eyes were hidden. More than that, Slade knew what it was like to lose someone close to you. He had caused the demise of his own family; he couldn't deny it. He knew how it felt to carry such a heavy burden.

But for a child so young... Tasha shouldn't have to bear that weight alone.

He reached out and rested a single hand on her shoulder. Slade felt her jump a little under his grip, but he did not remove his hand. Tash needed to know that she wasn't alone. Even if she wanted to be.

A long while later, when they were the last ones left at the gravesite, Tasha was kneeling before the large headstone. Slade stood behind her far enough to allow her to speak privately, but close enough he could step in if something happened. The man who had been standing out of the way, under the shade of a few trees, made his way towards Slade. The two men shared a look and continued to observe Tash while they conversed.

"What are you going to do with her?" he asked. Slade thought for a while before answering, not truly knowing the answer himself.

"What else can I do, Will? She needs protection. She escaped the same hell Sarah's trapped in. I have to help her."

"Have you told her?"

Slade shook his head. "I don't... I do not believe that's what she needs to hear right now."

"Well, whenever you tell her, it will sound better coming from you then if she figures it out herself," said Will. "If you allow her mind to roam too much, she might start suspecting you."

"I can't just tell her everything, Will. You know that."

"Yes," he replied wearily, "I do." Will laid a hand on Slade's shoulder. Slade turned to face the older man, knowing he would be forced to either way. He had learned not to fight against this man a long time ago.

"She's just starting to trust you, Slade. You need to build on that trust, not break it." Slade glanced over to the child talking softly in another language to the carved stone. She was so young.

"Good luck, my boy." Will held his hand out to Slade. Slade grasped his friend's hand and felt something small pressing into his palm.

"It's everything I could find," Will said in an undertone.