Part 1 - The Beginning

I sat in the intern locker room, waiting for an attending to come claim one of the "leftovers". A leftover is an intern that wasn't chosen by one of the residents before the first day. Dr. DeLuca walked in.

"So... who wants to be on my service?" He asked as Annalise, Maria, Isaac, Eric, and I all ran to hide, but I was the slowest one.

"Dr. Myers, looks like you're on my service," he stated as my heart dropped.

"But- I-," I tried to find my words.

"Let's go," he replied. I sighed as I stood up.

***

"So, why did all of your intern buddies run and hide when I came in?" Andrew asked.

"We don't like you. No offense, we just hate all residents.... and attendings," I answered.

"Wow, okay....," he replied, I could hear the sadness in his voice.

"I mean, you seem cool," I responded.

"Thanks?" He was very confused. His pager beeped and he looked down at it.

"That's Dr. DeLuca, she needs a consult," Andrew spoke.

"Wait, I thought you were Dr. DeLuca?" I asked in confusion.

"I have a sister," he quickly responded.

"Well I hope she's not as cute as you," I mumbled.

"What was that?" He asked, not understanding what I said.

"I said 'Woah that's really cool for you'," I lied.

***

The lightning made the lights flicker.

"So.... can you show me an on call room? It's my first day and I got lost on my way to the locker room, I can't do that again," I asked Andrew.

"Yeah, there's one this way," he responded. The lights flickered again.

"The power can't actually go out, right? I mean, all of our charts are on electric devices," I pointed out as we walked.

"We have back up generators, but those sometimes fail," he answered.