Kanza

Jordan was napping soundly.

Ava stood and stretched her wings. Flying into the sky, she scanned the meadow.  It was refreshing to fly so high.  She was able to catch a nice updraft every now and then sending her deeper into the air.  At home amongst the redwood trees she was never aloud to fly into the open air above the trees, however, she never listened.  Flying this way felt so natural and good to her. 

Jordan looked so small from up above. He still lay there, sleeping.

Something caught the corner of her eye in the tree line ahead.  She scanned the area with caution.  Curiously, she decided to see what it was.  She descended down into the trees nearby and landed on a high branch.  The meadow was still visible between the branches. 

Ava peered in. There was definitely movement, but it could have been a bird. She couldn't be sure.  From out of the leaves it peered back at her momentarily.  Eager to find what she had just seen, she inched forward.  But before she could get any closer, it flew off in the opposite direction.  Ava dove off, after it. 

It, or they, were fast.  Ava immediately lost them in the thick trees.  Resting on a tree branch to catch her breath and regroup, she looked around for some more evidence of it.... But there was nothing.  Then the forest became silent once again.  Her heart started to beat heavily. She looked up and around. 

Then, before she could fly back to Jordan something pounced on her back and pinned her down.  Ava couldn't move! 

"Who are you?!"  It asked forcefully.  "What are you doing here?!" 

Could it be?......another Avian?

"Please! Its okay!" Ava managed to say.  Immediately they loosened their grip on Ava and backed away to let her get back on her feet.  When Ava turned around she saw amother Avian. 

Her hair was a crimson red with a slight curl.  It was halfway pulled back with multiple braids weaved in.  Her eyes were a dark brown, and her skin was pale, dotted in freckles.  Her wings were dark auburn.  She stood a a few inches taller than Ava and she carried a bow on her back. 

"Your with that human aren't you?" She asked, sounding irritated. 

"Jordan?  Yeah I-"

"They are enemies to us!"  She spit.  "If your with him, than your not welcome here."  Her words were harsh.  But Ava couldn't blame her.  Humans were dangerous, but Jordan was not like that.

"You don't understand,... you see,.... Jordan and I just escaped from humans.  We have been trying to get somewhere safe.  Jordan saved my life and he means no harm."  Ava tried to calm her. 

She hesitated as she looked down in thought.  She shook her head and looked back at me, clearly sizing me.  "Who are you?" She asked.  "I have never seen you before." 

"My names Ava.  I am from another tribe." 

"Another tribe?"  She asked confused.

"Yes, that is where I am headed." Ava paused.

"What is your name?... Are there more of you here?"  Ava asked, sounding eager to know.

She hesitated.  "My name's Kanza, and no... I am alone."  She looked down sadly.  Then back up.  "I had no idea there were more of us alive."

"Wait... how are you alone?" Ava asked.  "Don't you have a family?" 

"When I was 10, a human trap killed my parents."  Ava could see small tears well in her eyes as she relived the painful memory.  "I tried to help them, but they didn't survive." 

"Im. so sorry... If it makes you feel better,... My family too was killed."  Ava wished she could have comforted her more, but they had only just met. 

"So you were the one that was stalking us earlier right?" Ava asked.

Her expression changed, confused.  "...Uh, .no?"

Immediately Ava felt that something was not right.  Just like before.  If it wasn't Kanza

Who was it?