Cocky But Cute

• Věnováno Alveena Mathew

24, 26, 30....

I could still hear them talking.

30... 34....

There we go. I couldn't hear his boasting anymore. Then I saw the teacher's lips start to move.

Shit

I pulled out my headphones and got my pencil out; ready to start taking notes on his daily lecture.

English class.

I love English, and everything about it. Well everything except the class this year.

I was the lucky one who was seated in front of the most obnoxious boys in the entire class. Every day, I had to listen to what haircut they got, the score on last night's game, insults being thrown at each other and his drivers' licences.

The tallest one, Jay. I had him in several classes before, but I never had to sit near him.

Not until this year. And this was the year he got his license.

As the year went on, he got both his G1 and M. So he could operate a motorcycle legally.

I really didn't care, but every day, it was someone new being driven home on the bike.

Stacy from science, Lizzy from Math, Rose from History.

I would hear about how cool they thought he was, how much fun they had. But from what I got, was he was just a crazy driver.

Running over curbs, weaving between traffic, doing wheelies in the parking lot.

He was crazy, and had crazy hair to match. For some reason, his short brown hair always stuck up on his head like he had been struck by a small lightning bolt. Even after he took off his helmet and dumped it at the front of the room because he was running late, it still stuck up. But it matched the crazy look in his deep brown eyes. The height didn't help. The kid was at least 6'. He towered over the teacher.

One day, I had forgotten my headphones, so while I did my work, I could hear every stupid word that came out of his mouth.

"Eliza was on the back and she clung to me so tight as I took a sharp right..." He babbled to his brainless friends that listened to him no matter how stupid the story was.

I was getting annoyed; I couldn't focus on the reading. So as I looked at my paper, I mumbled a thought: you'll run off the road one day and die trying to impress a girl. Still couldn't get one in your pants though.

Apparently, I said that louder than I expected.

"What?" I heard Jay scoffed.

"What?" I asked turning around.

"You think I'm a careless driver?" He grinned back at me.

"Yea. Pathetic." I made a face at him.

"How would you know?" One of his friends chimed in.

"Listening to your boasts all day, seeing you drive by when I get on the bus... You know. Obvious things." I rolled my eyes.

"You just assume?" Jay asked smirking.

"No, I know. Idiots." I shook my head and turned back to my work.

That after noon, I pulled out my wallet and realized that I didn't have any money for the bus.

Both of my friends had already gotten on the bus, so I said screw it and decided to walk. It was pretty nice outside.

I turned out of the side street the school was on, on to the main road.