22

Miley's POV

It was a warm night, the air was humid and the small waterfall in the pond outside was refreshing to hear with it's running water. Nick will be home soon, and it would be a long night with just the two of us.

I attemped to cook dinner, and it was pretty decent, and if it's not any good I've prepared a nice dessert to wash it down. There would be two; cake and me. Nick would want to have both.

I changed into a silk slip, laced over the chest and the hem. I paired it with a black robe just for a tease effect. I hadn't gone all out with candles or roses, that's Nick's thing.

I heard his car pull up in the driveway. Quickly, I fixed my robe and hair, sniffing my wrist to make sure my perfume was smelling sensual enough. I stood in the middle of the dining room, one hand against the marble counter giving me a sort of leaning pose. The door opened and I could smell his Comme des garcon cologne wafting into the house. He knew where I was and didn't call for me, footsteps marching into the dining room.

He appeared into view; small contented smile already on his face and when he saw me for a split second his smile was about to expand, but then his whole expression turned appalled.

"Back already?" I spoke, obviously not reading into the situation.

He opened his mouth to speak, but before he could give me a warning Demi popped behind Nick and stepped into the light. She took a look at me and her eyes flicked "Hey sexy," She smirked.

I pulled the robe over my slip and shot a sharp look at Nick. "What's she doing here?"

"I'm obviously here for you, babe." Demi respond, crossing her arms over her chest with a teasing sneer.

"She wants to read us her toast." Nick told me gently.

"What if I don't want her to?"

"You already agreed," Nick reminded.

"No, I didn't."

"You did, with the exception that she'd admit what she did."

I turned to Demi, who gave a half-smirk, laced with challenge and unapologetic demeanor. She wouldn't really mean it, would she? "Is that what I have to do to get her out of here?" I snarled at Nick, who joined my side and led me to sit, giving me a promising glare. I sighed obnoxiously and let him put me through this torture.

"Like, just listen to me and if you don't like it we'll just forget the whole thing," Demi said, taking out her phone. It sounded generous, it's like she knew what I need to hear from her, and if she forgets one small detail she wouldn't be able to redeem herself and ask for another chance. This is it. Her one and only chance.

I glanced away, plastering an unimpressed look on my face. I would love to hear what she has to say, but I don't want to give her that power. Nick and I stayed seated across from her, she started to flick through her phone "Kay, here we go." She muttered and cleared her throat, eyes fixed on I imagine a note on her screen "It's a rough draft, bear with me."

"Nick and Miley, where do I began?" She sighed to herself "He was one of the first people I've met when I started in this industry, and she was the generous upper-classman who showed me the ropes. They both took me in, in different ways. Like adoptive parents--" She stopped mid-sentence "No, that's stupid. Forget I said that last thing."

"They were always there for me, looked out for me in things I've never even considered to be dangerous, they made a friend out of me and I could always count on them for anything, I admit I've taken them for granted one too many times, did things I weren't proud of. I know I'm not the best person that came to mind to make a toast at their wedding, but here I am. When Nick asked me if I'd do the honor of delivering a well-thought out speech on his wedding day I was more puzzled than thrilled. Do I really deserve the honor? I could only ask one person to judge. The woman whose marrying my best friend. She has the heart of pure gold, and like solid gold I should've known better than to take my shot to break it, little did I know her heart wouldn't crack and I'd be the one regretting ever touching her. I didn't have the purest of intentions, and I ended up with a lot more than a bruised knuckle. The truth is, I shouldn't be here, but I am today because I really couldn't stay away. The ever-lasting magic that this couple has created together had entranced me, and looking at them now reminded me of their history and how this magic had me rooting from them from the start. Nick and Miley saw me through everything, and I saw them. I saw the first fire that sparked in Nick when he told me about this girl he's crushing on, I saw the smile he'd worn that nobody else could provoke. I saw the tears he intended for nobody to see when he lost her. I saw Miley's girlish obsession, I saw the pictures of him she kept, I saw the way she lit up when she'd talk about him, and I saw the heart on her sleeve she'd worn and torn off, the same one I didn't protect when I saw the bad things that had broken it coming. But then I saw them heal, I saw them patch their wounds and mend their broken bones and come back out of a tragedy good as new. I guess they knew, I guess I and everybody else knew...they were always going to come back together. No matter what force, what evil, whatever toxic people they had around them that would impact their demise, whatever's coming between them would only scratch the surface. They weren't always the perfect couple, but they worked out their shapes to fit each other, they grew apart just to branch out longer and create a stronger bond. They didn't have to be the halves of the same whole to work, they just needed to understand what they truly need. I could've never imagined a more beautiful couple; synchronizing through the flaws, and creating harmony by the songs of tragedy, falling in love each day but not romanticizing the pain that comes with it, instead choosing to be together, with all of us here today to witness this incomparable team reach another milestone. I love you, and I'm eternally grateful that the universe put two of my best friends together to inspire the rest of us. To Nick and Miley."