The Second Betrayal

January 21, 1980

SIRIUS: (angrily) Where are they?

ALICE: Inside the shop- hurry!

In Knockturn Alley, JAMES, LILY, SIRIUS, FRANK, and ALICE kick open the door to Borgin and Burke's, where the store is dimly lit and empty. Eerie flashes of twilight escape through the shattered window panes.

JAMES: Show yourselves!

A stray curse flies out of them from the back, and narrowly misses FRANK.

SIRIUS: Get out here, Vanity! I know you're here!

EMMA: (walking slowly from the back) Well, well, well. Sirius Black. The one who got away.

SIRIUS: (pointing his wand at her) You killed her. You killed Marlene.

BELLATRIX: (approaching them from the back room) I didn't want to kill her, dear cousin. I'm afraid Emma just got a bit carried away.

SIRIUS: Crucio!

The curse flies towards BELLATRIX, who deflects it. However, the curse's strength partly breaks through her barrier and hits her shoulder. She screams out in pain.

BELLATRIX: Wilkes! Rosier! GET OUT HERE!

EMMA: Crucio!

ALICE: Stupefy!

A duel breaks out between the Order and the Death Eaters, who are outnumbered and begin to retreat towards the back room.

SIRIUS: You'll pay for what you did to her, Bella! Crucio!

BELLATRIX: She deserved what she got, and you deserve worse!

LILY: Petrificus totalus!

WILKES: Avada Kedavra!

The battle continues into the back room. SIRIUS and BELLATRIX are locked in a magical duel, while EMMA duels FRANK and ALICE simultaneously.

JAMES: Expelliarmus!

ROSIER: Crucio!

SIRIUS: (screaming) I swear to Merlin, Bella, I'll kill you for this!

BELLATRIX: Give it a try, I beg you!

Immediately, the duel between SIRIUS and BELLATRIX breaks in a flash of light. In the momentary setback, all five members of the Order raise their wands towards the Death Eaters.

JAMES: Avada Kedavra!

SIRIUS: Avada Kedavra!

LILY: Avada Kedavra!

FRANK: Avada Kedavra!

ALICE: Avada Kedavra!

The five Killing Curses quickly fly through the air. BELLATRIX, ROSIER, and EMMA are able to block them, but WILKES is hit squarely in the chest and falls to the ground, dead.

SIRIUS: You're next, Bella!

EMMA DisApparates from the scene. BELLATRIX quickly retreats towards the Vanishing Cabinet.

BELLATRIX: ROSIER! NOW!

BELLATRIX and ROSIER quickly slip inside the Vanishing Cabinet and close the door.

SIRIUS: No!

SIRIUS breaks open the Cabinet, but it is empty. He screams in fury.

JAMES: She's gone, Sirius. She's gone.

SIRIUS breaks down and holds his head in his hands. The Order is left in the abandoned shop with WILKES'S corpse lying on the floor.