The Consequence

Twenty-Seven

The Consequence

I place the contract in my box of stuff and get the bracelet out, wondering if I made a good choice. A suicidal one, but maybe I can get things to work. My fingers run over the engravings. This thing would be my teddy bear if I were five. (Actually, I had a stuffed dog. He was light brown with dark brown spots and I named him Snuggles. Had him until I left my aunt’s house. I have no idea what she did with him.)

I slip it on and lie down in bed. It’s been a long night and I’m honestly exhausted.

Oh, shit, is the thought I bolt awake to. Venus slammed that front door so hard the whole house shook. She shrieks my name, my full name, at the top of her lungs. I reluctantly climb out of bed and start for the foyer.

Well, I’m not getting things to work out. I hear the door open again; Lucifer’s cry enters the house. Must be Mars.

“Now, Cassie!” she shouts again and I break into a run. My heart stops the moment I see the scene before me.

Mars, Lucifer in his arms, sneaks by, presumably to put Lucifer in his crib and to avoid Venus’s fury. It can be directed at anyone in the vicinity, regardless of whether or not they’ve done anything.

Her cold grey eyes are the only things that reveal how irate she is. Otherwise, she looks perfectly at ease, even a smirk in place.

Which makes sense, considering she has Michael standing on her right and Ian on her left, digging her nails into their shoulders. All I can do is stare in horror.

She shoves them both forward. Ian stumbles, but remains upright. Michael falls, and I give him a hand, helping him up. I know that it isn’t an accident when he slips something into my hand. I ball my fists and look at the two boys.

What are you doing here?”

“They made a deal, Cassandra. In fact, each of them did. Just for you, so feel special. Or perhaps guilty, because whatever happens now is your fault. Entirely yours. Mars!” she shouts.

“It’s in the study, right?” he responds.

“Yes!” She turns to me, cocking her head to the side. There’s curiosity hidden amongst the anger in her eyes. “Tell me, child, why didn’t you leave with the rest of them? All of this could have been avoided if you would have just burnt your contract and left me far behind. I wouldn’t have been able to pursue you, you know. You knew it would mean death, so why did you stay?”

“I had my reasons,” I reply quietly.

“I don’t suppose you’ll be sharing them. Duck, child.”

Out of habit, I obey the order, which is probably a good thing. She catches a sword that sails right where my head had just been.

“Personally, I think Ian here made the better of the deals, but after he made it, Michael’s definitely became necessary. Would you like to know what bargain he made?”

“Not really, Miss Venus.”

“At this point, Cassie, there isn’t much point in being formal. Besides, you know I’ll be telling you regardless. Why fight it?”

“Don’t really want to know.”

“Like I said, he bargained for you. He agreed to sell his soul under the agreement that no physical harm come to you. In essence, he sold his soul so that I can’t torture you. At least, not physically. There was nothing that he said about emotional.” She takes the sword, a rapier, and stabs Ian in the back, straight through the heart. He’s dead before he even hits the ground.