14.

Flirt

"What did he do to you?"

"What d'you mean?

"The way you act, the way you speak... it's different. Everything is different. How did..."

"I needed to do this, Kieran. For you people and for me."

I watched him swallow with unease. "Okay then. So tell me about yourself. Your life. Everything."

I noticed the strained nonchalance in his voice but ignored it. I explained Jessica's life and who she was when he suddenly cut me off.

"Prostitution?" he spluttered, staring at me in horror.

"Eyes on the road!" I snapped before saying, "Yes. Something wrong with that?" I noted the hint of bitterness in my voice but he didn't catch it.

"Did... did he take you out to..."

I pursed my lips and averted my eyes. I didn't want to talk about it. Regardless of what Emory had done, it was part of the past. He had his reasons, and... I didn't have any reason not to do it. There was no remains of Megan Vaughn to preserve.

"Oh, God," Kieran muttered, a mixture of disgust and something else marring his tone.

"What is it with you, Kieran?"

"Nothing, nothing. Let's just... let's just forget I said anything, okay?"

I glared at him poisonously before firmly looking away. Why was acting like such a jerk all of a sudden?

Kieran braked the car abruptly on the side of the road, our surroundings vaguely resembling the outskirts of the 'club district' of San Caido.

"Why're we stopping here?" I demanded, unable to hide to anger in my voice.

"We don't want anyone to track your movements to me or Emory. Take the first right down here and keep walking till you find Fallen. It should be three or four blocks from here.

I clenched my jaw as I picked up my small rectangular purse, courtesy of Emory, and stepped out of the car, when Kieran grasped my hand, leaning over the seat.

"What?"

"Look, just... good luck."

I scowled at Kieran before snatching my hand away and hurrying into the icy embrace of the night without looking back, although occasionally stumbling over my heels.

⤜◯⤛

A different bouncer barred the entrance of Fallen, but he wore the same nonchalant yet threatening expression as the first one.

"You're Lupi," he stated bluntly as soon as I made my intention of entering clear, staring openly at me.

"So are you," I shot back. "And so are half the dancers behind that door."

"Don't you go playing smart," he growled. "You're Lupi and you're a killer, and you know it."

"I had me own very good reasons, I'll have you know. I'm not a psychopath, if that's what you're worried about," I answered with a small frown and pouted slightly with a petulant air.

"Killer kill people. Dead people mean bad business. Bad business is not welcome," he deadpanned. "Get out."

"Oh, come on," I whined childishly. "I don't kill! Not anymore! I'm not one of those crazies who kill for that high, honest! One bad move, and boom! I'm a serial killer and nobody can trust me. I mean, like, geez!"