15.

Infiltrate

Once Blake finally found the energy to get up, we washed up and he took me to his flashy black car, a Chrysler.

"You first," he said with a wink, holding the passenger door open for me to enter.

"Why thank you, my good sir!"

"Anything for you, milady."

The silence between us once Blake started driving was almost palpable and thick with tension, with his free hand on my exposed thigh, but I did nothing to ease it. It was easier to be in control when he wanted me so much.

Even when the quiet voice spoke in my head, cutting through the silence, I managed to remain unresponsive.

Pretend that you don't have someone talking to you in your head.

Kieran.

Good God, Meg—Jessica, did you just have sex with a man with an audience? I thought in mortification. Without the layers of foundation and powder to mask my emotion, I could feel my face flushing, thankfully without anyone's notice, but I managed to remain impassive otherwise.

Yes, he said wryly. You'd think that you'd remember that we can hear you. Not to mention see through your eyes... and hear your thoughts.

What? I shrieked internally. If I survived this, I would die soon after of humiliation.

Keep you cool, Jessica. Emory.

Good job, by the way, Kieran said, a hint of bitterness in his voice. You know. On getting on Blakey's good side.

Shut up. It was necessary and it worked.

Oh, absolutely. All of those nights out definitely worked to your advantage.

Kieran, Emory intercepted sharply. Get your shit sorted. This is definitely not the time to blow her cover.

Whatever.

So, is there a reason for this interruption of my brain? Or can I just tune you out?

I'm just saying, don't get any emotional attachments with Blake... or anyone for that matter.

No shit—

Before I could finish, Blake slowed the car outside a massive old building that could easily resemble a multi-story house if treated with a hint of extra negligence. Surrounding the building was a large spread of grass, and the whole compound was guarded by a large iron-wrought gate that spread into a fence that stood at at least thirteen feet tall, topped with intimidating spikes

"Nice place," I commented, earning a smile from Blake.

"Let's see if you can be a part of it," he said as he wound down his window.

"What the hell, Crawford?" a crackly voice snapped through the recently installed speaker that was embedded by the right hinge of the gate, accompanied by a blinking red light. "Who the fuck told you to go an bring a whore here?"

Blake's hold on my leg tightened as he spoke. "She isn't a whore," he replied calmly. Hah! He was a good liar. "She's interested in joining, as a matter of fact."

"Then who, pray tell, is she?"

"She's a rogue Lupi. She wants to join."

"And what is her name? She doesn't look like the type who would start a conversation with you with a name."