BONUS: Rowan POV

Defeat, anger...I saw it all in her eyes. It was a fire I had never seen from her before, and I wasn't sure I wanted to see them again.

Ever since I got sorted into Gryffindor, long before Clara had her turn on the stool in front of the Sorting Hat, I figured that the next few years would be rough for her. Had I not met her in Diagon Alley, I would have thought that the next few years studying magic would be a literal breeze--after all, I did spend a lot of my time reading on the farm. I did immerse myself in texts that many people may never have heard of. I prepared myself in many ways possible before I entered Hogwarts, solely with the will to do well...but when I met her, everything changed.

In a way, my best friend, the younger sibling of the infamous Jacob Lin, had more trouble than me. Though she shone like a star in all our classes together, I knew how much she was struggling. She wanted to learn all this magic to uncover the mystery behind her missing brother, and I couldn't blame her for wanting to gain the knowledge as soon as she could. Seeing her storm out of the Artefact room just now, tears streaming from her eyes, made me choke back a sob--I didn't intentionally want to steal the spotlight from her since this was, after all, her class with Madam Rakepick. I didn't mean to intrude with my expertise. All I wanted to do was help, and instead, she ended up resenting me. 

"Miss Khanna?"

Something in Madam Rakepick's voice brought me back to reality, and I shook my head, looking up at her.

"I was telling the truth!" I blurted. "I just thought of our friends--mine, and Clara's...they're the reason we've been so happy here at Hogwarts! At least, for me!"

"I don't blame you, Miss Khanna. But as Miss Lin's best friend, don't you think it best to check on her right now?"

Casting that Patronus in front of Clara seemed like I was rubbing in the fact that I knew more than she did, and I know she wouldn't forgive me for that. I mean, I know I taught her Rictusempra back in first year, and taught her Gobstones, and everything she needed to know to help her fit in more with Hogwarts...but for something like this, I may have gone too far. 

I stumbled out of the Artefact room without a clue where I was going; within seconds, I bumped into a boy I was pretty sure I never met before.

"Ow!"

The muffled exclamation from the boy made me back away in alarm and embarrassment.

"Sorry." I grinned sheepishly and glanced at him. "Um, have we met?"

"No. I don't believe so." The boy grinned and shrugged. "I'm Diego. I'm in Hufflepuff, like Tonks and Penny."

"Rowan," I introduced myself with a nod. "Have you seen a girl run past here? An Asian girl, long black hair tied in a ponytail, glasses--"

"Yup. She looked pretty upset about something. Why?"

"I just thought I'd check on her for something." Before I could stop myself, I explained everything to this strange boy, and he didn't even question me, let alone interrupt me, the entire time. By the time I finished talking, though, I saw Liz coming by, comforting Clara with a small puffball of a pet in her hands--a Puffskein, I believe.

"They're really cute!" Liz was telling her. "They'll light up your day in an instant!"

Seeing Liz do something I was meant to do made the smile drop from my face. How could she think that she knew what was best for her when I was her best friend? None of this made sense. This couldn't be happening. Was Clara so quick to forget about me?

Apparently not. The minute I saw her, she looked up at me too. What remained of the previous anger in the dark Artefact room still burned in her brown irises, the small spark still alight when she caught my eye. For a moment, neither of us moved. Then she sighed and turned away, walking away from me in the opposite direction.

Out of all people, Liz Tuttle came by to comfort her. It had to be someone who wasn't me.

I felt Diego's stare burn into my conscience, but I didn't care anymore. All I felt was a weight literally pulling me down, and I collapsed onto my knees, more sobs racking through my body. It was the first time I truly cried since I came to Hogwarts.

I thought nothing would stand in my way this year. Now, I wasn't so sure.

Besides, what would this year become without my best friend?