Chapter 17

News of the wolf attack spread quickly among the Care of Magical Creatures Class, but no one seemed more concerned about us than Barnaby, who automatically hugged me the second I stepped onto the paddock with Merula. I could feel him trembling as he pulled me close, enveloping me in his warmth, and tears soon leaked from my eyes as the scene from before flashed before me.

Had it not been for Merula, I probably wouldn't be standing here, let alone be alive. What came in her to help me, I had no idea, but I felt like I owed her a great debt. She was able to do what I couldn't in the situation I was abruptly launched into. Maybe I really should give her what she wanted--after all, she did prove that she wasn't the same person who wanted me dead in first year. Maybe all she wanted after all this time was redemption.

Speaking of Merula, I could hear Professor Kettleburn bombard her with questions about the attack. The minute she told him about the wolf pinning me down to the snow, he went silent.

"Students, carry on your study of Fire Dwelling Salamanders in pairs," he instructed us then, and I lifted my head up from Barnaby's shoulder to see his face grow pale. "Better safe with someone else than in danger alone."

Imagine everyone's surprise, however, when I eventually went over to Merula to pair up with her on the project, but not before giving Barnaby a quick light kiss on the cheek which seemed to calm him down a little. As Professor Kettleburn handed us two red Salamanders, I quickly brought them over to a small clearing, creating a small fire pit with a few dried leaves and twigs on the ground and lighting them up with a hasty "Incendio."

"I owe you a great debt, Merula," I eventually told her, watching her take out her notebook and quill from her bag. "I meant what I said back there. You really saved me."

She said nothing for a few minutes as she watched the Salamanders frolic in the small tongues of flame, and I did too, feeling the warmth radiating from them quenching the cold away. Then she eventually spoke up in a low mutter.

"I felt like I owed it to you, actually. You saved me from the Cursed Ice in first year, after all."

"I didn't think you'd remember that."

"You'd never forget the face of the first person who helped you in the face of danger," Merula eventually said, putting her quill down and scrunching her face in thought. "Don't get me wrong, Lin--I still don't like you. But you're...not that bad."

I could feel a strange chill shoot through my arms, but I shook the unease away with a quick scribble of a note as I saw the Salamander stick its tongue out at the dancing flames. Merula had a point--I did save her back in first year when she was encased in the Cursed Ice in the unknown room Filch and Mrs. Norris were meant to guard. Anyone who thought of her as an enemy would rather see her suffer, but I wasn't that heartless. I didn't want to be responsible for her death--and as she said back there, she didn't want to be responsible for mine, either. 

"I suppose a debt owed is a debt repaid. And if Madam Rakepick told you to help me, I guess I'll have to return the favour either way," I eventually relented. "I'll teach you the Patronus Charm, Merula--but only on one condition."

"And that is?"

I frowned slightly at Merula's raised eyebrows and folded my arms. "To stop bothering my friends," I simply stated. 

"Consider that done."

---

Tulip caught me just as I walking out from the Great Hall after dinner, waving a piece of paper in her hand.

"I heard you got the Patronus Charm down pat," she said. "At least, that's what I heard from Rowan and Barnaby."

I nodded quickly in assent. "You're correct, Tulip. It wasn't an easy feat, but it's doable."

"Good. I just wanted to talk to you about something else, though." Tulip held the paper up so I could see. It took only a moment to realize that it was the Forbidden Forest map--the one we found in the last Cursed Vault.

"I made notes on the best places to enter. Of course, now with Fenrir Greyback in the midst, we might have to make slight adjustments...but here are the spots I've marked that would help us get into the forest without anyone noticing." She pointed to the X's on the map that she marked. "As for how to get in--well, I don't think getting in on foot would be a good idea."

"No, definitely not." I shook my head in agreement, recalling the scream I heard earlier in the forest today. "With the Dementors around and all, it wouldn't be safe."

"I'd say we focus on what we can before we tackle the harder problems," Tulip suggested. "You don't think you can teach all of us how to conjure a Patronus? I think it'd be helpful, in case more of us decide to go into the Forest with you."

I wasn't so sure how to react to this. My confession to Barnaby still stood true, even after his attempts to reassure me--I didn't want anyone else to fall in danger's grasp and end up hurt because of me. What if something did go awry? Any enemy could take advantage of our weaknesses, whether intentional or not. The last thing I wanted was to drag everyone down the drain because of me.

 I never got the chance to answer.

Just then, Rowan came out of the Great Hall waving something else in her hands--a recent edition of The Daily Prophet.

"It just dropped this on the table. The owl, I mean," Rowan said. "Owls were flying around after you left. Must have some major headlines if the Prophet is sent out this late."

Tulip shook her head as I took the paper and unfurled. "I don't think so. This must be a sort of 'special edition' paper. My mother used to be subscribed to those before she realized that they wrote rubbish about the Ministry."

"Must be Rita Skeeter's work, then," Rowan shrugged. "Still, she did write some honest things about me when Clara nominated me the winner of the little competition last year."

"Guys, look at this." I quickly showed them the headline that literally screamed itself in bold. "This is terrible. Someone actually died earlier today in the Forest."

Now Tulip and Rowan gaped at me in disbelief, all colour drained from their faces.

"No way," Rowan said, taking one end of the paper with a hand and glancing at the paper with me. "How?"

In a low voice, I told them what I heard while I was arguing with Merula. I could only confirm my worst suspicions--either the Dementors had taken hold of a student in the Forest and performed the Kiss on them, or the wolf that attacked me earlier was part of a really bloodthirsty pack.

The paper eventually mentioned that a wolf had taken hold of a student in the Forest.

"That's really unfortunate!" Tulip said then. "Wow. I can only offer condolences for the family who lost their child."

"And to think that Clara could have been next," Rowan murmured. "I'm just so glad you're still alive, Clara."

"Either way, Greyback must be getting stronger. He's rallying an army in the Forest, and we need all the defence we can get if we're to find the next Cursed Vault," I said, rolling the paper back up and handing it back to Rowan. "But...I don't want to get any of you guys in danger. You all mean so much to me--it would pain me to see someone I love dead because of me."

"No one is going to die. We'll all be here with you, and we're going to help you no matter what," Rowan said firmly, shaking her head. "Remember what I said at the beginning of the year? Jacob would be okay, no matter where he is. I'm sure he would want this, too--for you to work with your friends."

I could see the sheer determination in their eyes reflected from the fire in the Great Hall, and I knew there was no winning this argument. If they wanted to come, they could--as long as I didn't have to think about their fate equating to that of the student who died earlier today.

"Alright then." I nodded resolutely and balled my hands into fists. "Meet me in the Training Grounds tomorrow morning at sunrise. I think we all need to learn how to cast the Patronus Charm."