Chapter 3

Fall and Winter Chapter 3

The next couple of months went by quickly. Winter spent several hours each day training the young bandit members and whipping them into shape in her own military style. She enjoyed the work she was doing and it helped keep her occupied. She and Raven talked often and she was confident that she could get Raven to join them. She was learning a lot about the bandits and Raven and about Qrow as well. It somehow made things easier for her.

Every week Winter sent a letter to both Qrow and Weiss. One day, as she sat down to write, she heard shouting and commotion. Winter went outside to find out what was going on.

Raven gathered the whole tribe. When she had everyone's full attention she anounced:

Raven: There is an increase in Grimm activity in this area. There have been many attacks. Salem's forces could be in the area. It is no longer safe. Pack your things and we move out immediately!

Winter rushes over to speak with Raven after the anouncement.

Winter: What is going on? Where are we going?

Raven: I just told you. Go pack! Miss Schnee, this is how we live. We don't stay in one place for long. We are always ready to go at a moment's notice. Now Go! We don't have long.

Winter went back and began packing. She called for Marta to help. They cleared the tent. A few hours later Raven called everyone together again.

Raven: We have a new location to set up camp. I believe everyone is ready. We leave now.

Then, Raven opened a portal and members of the bandit tribe began to pass through it. Winter was surprised. She had never seen this before. She followed everyone else and went through. Raven was the last person to pass through the portal and then it closed.

Winter looked around and studied their surroundings. She was unfamiliar with the area. She could not tell how far they had traveled. When they reached the new location, everyone began setting up the camp. Winter didn't know how to begin.

Winter: Marta! Marta!

Marta: Yes Mam?

Winter: Marta, what do we do?

Marta: Here Mam. Over here is a lovely spot. Marta called some men over and they set up a tent for Winter and Marta.

Marta: Miss Schnee, come, you must rest.

Winter: Thank you Marta. I can help you set things up.

Marta: No Miss Schnee. Come and rest. You don't look good. You take care of yourself and your baby. Here, I have set you a bed, see?

Winter: Thank you Marta but I can't let you do all this alone.

Marta: Rest now and we can do more tomorrow ok?

Winter: Ok. She laid down on the bed to rest. Marta brought her something to eat and drink. She put a pillow under her head and one under her legs.

Marta: Let me check on the baby ok?

Winter: Ok, she agreed.

Marta pushed and poked her belly and Winter felt the baby move. Then Marta checked Winter's ankles and began taking measurements of her belly.

Winter: Marta, what's wrong? Is something wrong with my baby?

Marta: No, no Miss Schnee. Do not worry. You must rest. Your baby is fine. I need to keep you both well ok? You have swelling Miss Schnee. You rest. I take good care of you and baby. Everything is normal. You just have to take it easy.