Chapter 4

Fall and Winter Chapter 4

As the end of Winter's pregnancy grew closer, so did the danger. The tribe had to move again and again. Winter had heard of the attacks happening in Atlas. She was concerned. As she reached 8 months, Winter's worst fears came true. She had just finished her training and went back to her tent to write. When she began feeling sharp pains, Winter called for Marta to help.

Winter: Marta, Marta, Please come help me!

Marta: What is it Miss Schnee?

Winter: The baby, something is wrong.

Marta helped Winter lay down on her bed.

Marta: Let me check you out and you try to stay calm. You are having contractions. It is probably just false labor but I will check to be sure.

Winter: Is my baby ok? It is too early isn't it? Will my baby be ok?

Marta: Calm down, calm down Miss Schnee. I will take good care of you and your baby. She checks Winter and finds she is in real labor. She is a bit worried but tries not to show any concern.

Winter: Marta, what is it?

Marta: It looks like the baby is in a bit of a hurry to make an appearance. Your baby is coming Miss Winter.

Winter: No, no. Oh, oh, I wish....I wish he was here! I wish I had told him! No, no, this isn't right... She cries and Marta tries to console her.

Marta: Miss Winter, you will see. Everything is going to be fine. You relax and just let me get you everything you need ok? I must go and get help but I will be right back ok?

Winter: Please hurry.

Marta: Yes, ok. Stay calm. Marta went to Raven right away. Miss Raven the baby is coming! I need others to help. Please come Miss Raven! Marta asked a couple of other women to help. She gathered everything she needed to deliver a baby. Raven went to Winter right away.

Raven: How are you doing?

Winter: I'm scared! Raven, I want him. I wish he could be here.

Raven: What can I do? Do you want me to get him?

Winter: NO! NO! Please don't leave me.

Raven: This may take a long time, are you sure?

Winter: Yes. What is happening in Atlas? Do you know anything?

Raven: The city has taken heavy damage. I'm sorry that is all I know.

Marta and Raven did what they could to make Winter as comfortable as possible. Marta gave her some pain medication and Winter fell asleep for a bit.

Raven: Marta, I have to go. Let me know when she wakes up or if you need anything. When Raven left the tent she called her chiefs guards together. I need extra security tonight. Whatever happens, do not let anyone get to Miss Schnee. I want two people outside of her tent all night. Find me at the first sign of trouble. Raven didn't want Winter to know how serious the danger was. She knew that Salem had people looking for her and she knew they would eventually find her. She had moved the tribe to try to stay ahead to them but this was no time for another move.

By morning, the baby had arrived. Winter was weak and tired but pleased that her baby boy was healthy. While she slept that morning, Marta took care of the precious newborn. The relief over the healthy child turned to panic when the bandit camp was discovered. Salem's army had found them! The battle was on. Raven and the bandits fought to keep them from invading the camp. For a while, they were able to keep them outside of the camp. Raven knew they would not be able to hold them off much longer.