Cought In Tangles

"Well here is you're schedule." He began handing me mine

"And yours." He handed Zakk one too. 

"I want a perfect combination of team work between you. She falls you fall, he's slow you're efforts don't count am i clear?"

We both shook our heads in agreement.

**               **              **           **         ** 

I left them with their assigned patients for the day going to do some research for some new symptoms I saw and didn't remember much about.

When i was at the door i got a glimpse of them before i walked out. They seemed to take my words seriously as they began discussing... i felt a pull of jealousy when i saw her laugh at something he said. She turned her head in laughter and caught my eyes on her . I looked past her to try not make the fact that i was looking at her so obvious.

With that i left my shift in their capable hands.

"How's you're schedule looking?" He asked

"I have six too."

"He was so into this. If we screw up we're done for." He stated kinda edgy

I chuckled a bit and agreed as i was laughing i saw Feras look my way. My breath hitched abit he looked past me then left.

"Shall we begin?" I asked

"When you're ready."

....

It was a really busy day as we moved from person to person , room to room and sickness to wounds. 

My last patient seemed quite nice since he excused me for a bit noting how tried i was. I took the chance to grab Zakk and me some snacks and coffee from the Cafe at the hospital.

I found him standing outside one room with a silly smug on his face. I couldn't help but smile too. He looked like some 3 year old who landed a candy jackpot. I had to mess up his golden moment since my job wasn't done yet.

"Well someone looks happy." I commented not looking directly at him.

He made some pretty funny cough sounds acting like he wasn't what i was talking about.

"Ummm.. i got you some coffee." I mentioned as i looked up the room number to know who was the cause of the smile.

He thanked me and took the coffee and snack as i rushed off to meet my patient. 

I flipped though he's history and came to note he was a frequent patient here since he was diabetic. I entered the room to find him sitted up on the examining bed. He looked up as i walked in .

After clearing my throat "Good afternoon..." i looked at my file and read his name "Jonny ... ummm... so how are we feeling today? Anything the matter?"

He slowly noded and raised his shirt . I flinched a little at the site of his bare flesh

"What happened?" I asked seeing most of he's back without skin .

"I fell from the stairs and..." his voice trialled off

I walked to him put on my gloves and began to examine his back.  The skin seemed quite peeled . It was a rough fall i thought . I put down a few notes and called the nurses in. I gave them my notes on his condition hence how to dress his wounds.

"They will take it from here. We ought to have weekly appointments to cheack on how you're healing. Its especially slow for diabetic people." He looked at me when i was done and simply noded. Something about him affected me in a way i could not put to words.

I turned around to leave when i found  Feras standing at the door way. He's eyes looked red from crying? He's face was somehow pale and he didn't look me in the eyes like he does when we speak .

"Is anything the matter?" I inquired. 

He simply gestured me to follow him. I found Zakk outside the room in a sad condition too.

"What's going on guys?"

No one spoke as they simply walked ahead of me . My heartbeat rate rose ...what happened?! I had a really bad feeling about this.

When we arrived at an emergency room i found everyone else there ...

Merjem, Nuri and the rest of the guys ...they all looked devastated. I stopped walking . I was scared of what happend. 

They all came to me slightly crying to apologize and left...still i had no idea what was going on. After they all left only Feras and i were left standing there.

I turned to face him. He looked at me for a brief moment and spoke.

I was already tearing before he spoke.

"Zahra..you're father had an accident and he's in a very critical stage now."

My legs felt weak , i couldnt feel my limbs and my breathing became heavy. He walked past me and opened the door."

"He asked to see you." He finshed before walking in.

I took full breathes before going in after in. What i saw broke my heart.
My father was on the bed covered in wounds with all his limbs held up.

I wish i never knew about his condition because now i felt how hard it would be for him to survive. Feras went and stood next to him and took his hand in a smooth way like we was trying to wake him.

When his faced turned to face me i couldn't help myself. I fell to my knees and sobbed loudly . I buried my face in my hands and sobbed even more. I heard my dad's voice from a distance and tried to calm myslef

"Come here my dear." He spoke

I stood on shaky legs and walked to his bed side oppsite where Feras was standing. I took his other hand and kissed it with my tear wet face .

He smiled weakly to me "Zahra my dearest pearl. You haven't had the pleasure of growing up with a mother or siblings but you had me and i tried my best to be all you needed in life-..."
He struggled to speak. I stroke his hand affectionately.

"Baba I've never felt the a gap in my life ..." i sobbed into my words. "Why are you talking like this ? Do you want to leave me?"

He looked into my eyes and squeezed  my hands abit.

"We are all doctors here and there is  no point in hiding facts ... i have little time left." I faced the floor when he said that.

"Don't say that."Feras spoke

"I wanted to have you both here for a specific reason." He looked to me making me look back at him.

"I've noticed how you both are very fond of each other. Zahra, Feras is a good man and among the few i trust dearly." He turned to Feras

"Feras, my boy this is my greatest treasure. I know her like the back of my hand . I'm positive that she'd make a wonderful wife."

My grip on my father's hand loosened when he said "wife" .... how?

"I hereby give her to you, and leave her in you're capable hands . Please consider how unfortunate she was to lose her mother in an infant age and now... me... i want you to love her as though she is an organ in you're body and i know she'll love as equally if not more."

He then looked to me "My dear i know you want this. Let me hear you accept."

I looked at Feras before i spoke. He gave me a weak smile and slightly noded

"I do father."

He then took our hands and placed then on each other "May Allah bless and protect this union."

We looked at each other

......