Chapter 15

MAY,
PAUL'S MECHANIC; DRIVE-IN & DRIVE-THRU
b r o o k l y n l e s l i e c o o p e r
❦❧❦

After school, I waited at the front gates for my father to pick me up. It usually took my father up to twenty minutes to get from his workplace to my school, so I was glad when Stella came to wait with me. She was waiting for her brother to pick her up and take her straight to dancing. I admired how committed she was to dancing, and I hoped I'd be just as loyal with my new job at riot. I really wanted this to work out for me.

We had gotten deep into conversation about a certain blue haired boy I'd seen way too much today: Michael Clifford. After P.E was lunch, and he sat at the same table as Luke, which was where Morgan and I sat, too. And he decided to sit right next to me and boast about this song he'd been writing. I distinctly remember the title; it was Monster Among Men. I think. But nevertheless, besides being annoyed at him, I listened to what he had to say about his new song. Which, to think of it, wasn't much at all. He just mentioned the title and tried to sing his guitar solo for me while doing guitar-shredding gestures with his hands. But after lunch, I didn't see him again. Thankfully, we didn't have anymore classes together.

"Have you spoken with Michael recently?" Stella has asked me, looking anxious.

I turned to her with furrowed eyebrows, wondering why she's asked me that. "Yeah, I had Sport with him and we spoke at lunch. Can I ask why?"

Even someone on the other side of the road would have seen how red her cheeks flushed. It made me arch an eyebrow up at her. "Stella . . . You're blushing. Why're you blushing?"

I didn't think it could have been possible for her cheeks to shine an even brighter crimson colour. But they did. She was blushing like a mad woman. And the look I gave her proved that she couldn't deny it. It was clear that I'd read her sudden mood like a children's book; easy and simple.

She let out a sigh. "I suppose there's no use lying, so I'll just tell you. But only because I'm trusting you not to tell anyone. Not even Morgan."

She gave me a hopeful look, and I sent her a reassuring smile. Then she let out a small breath, and looked me straight in the eyes. "I have a crush on Michael."

I gushed over this news, and awed at her. "Aw, Stella, that's so cute! I promise I won't tell anyone." Then I noticed my father's car pull up into the curb, and I pulled her in for a quick hug. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

Then I was off, almost skipping to my dad's Range Rover. When I was buckling myself up, my dad took one look at me, and chuckled. "You seem very giddy. What happened?"

I shrugged. "I just had a good day. That's all."

Then we drove off, down the main road. I turned the radio up louder as a song I liked came on, and I sung lowly to 21 Guns by Green Day. Even my dad chimed in, singing. Who wouldn't? This song was legendary, it was the ultimate 'omg, remember this?!' song.

I noticed that were were going down a different route then usual. In fact, we were going the opposite way to where our home was located. I turned to my dad with furrowed eyebrows. "Where are we going?"

"Paul's Mechanic. I need to get my tyres checked." Was his reply.

I nodded and sat back in my seat, thoughts taking over my mind. They travelled back to when we went out for dinner with the Hood's at the Silver Crown. I remembered the conversation where my dad asked where Calum worked, and he replied that he worked at Paul's Mechanic, and assisted soccer teams. And God knew I couldn't forget his mother claiming he was an angel because he volunteered to teach children music at the community centre. Those memories made me wonder if Calum still did any of those jobs. I'd never seen him working, but that was simply because I never went to the places he worked at. Why would I go to a mechanic when I didn't own my own car?