Chapter Two - Behind the Waterfall

Chapter Two

“Sara, wait!” Josh shouted. “We can’t just leave him out there!” He threw his weight into the door. “We have to help him!”

Sara helped push, but the door would not budge.

“It’s locked!” she cried.

Josh pounded his fist against the smooth wood, but it barely produced a sound.

“Mr. Dunbourne,” he yelled. Something heavy thudded against the door and Josh jumped backwards. They both cringed at the sound of scraping claws on the solid wooden door.

“Push the stone,” Sara whispered. “Push the stone,” her voice grew louder. “Push it!” She pointed to a flat blue stone embedded in the wall next to the door.

Josh slammed the palm of his hand against the stone. At once, the door melted away, leaving only a wall, like the door had never existed at all. Josh and Sara both stumbled as the room pitched slightly, like a tremendous elevator.

After a few moments, the room made another pitching movement, and they both stumbled again. As quickly as it vanished, the door reappeared. They looked at each other.

“What just happened?” Josh asked.

“I think the room—moved.” Sara said.

Josh crept toward the door. He put his ear to the lacquered wood and listened for any sounds.

“Well?” Sara whispered.

“Nothing,” he whispered back. He pounded his fist against the door. “Mr. Dunbourne! Are you there?”

Silence.

“Should we try to open it?” Sara asked.

“Unless we want to stay in here for the rest of our lives, I don’t think we have a choice.” Taking a deep breath Josh reached for the iron handle and pushed. This time it opened and he moved it just enough to peek out.

“I don’t believe it!”

He pushed the door open wide. Beyond was a poorly lit, dank smelling room that began to take shape.

“Where are we?” Sara asked.

“I have no idea, but wherever it is, I don’t see—or smell—Vowerlings.”

“Vowerlings,” Sara shuddered.

They ventured a little farther from the round room.

“Josh!” She exclaimed. “I know where we are!”

Josh was beginning to see where they were as well. It didn’t appear to be a room at all. It looked more like a cave. The dark earthen walls glistened with moisture, and the scent of wet, metallic, dirt permeated the air.

Sara ran from one side of the cave to the other, but soon her excitement turned to frustration.

“This can’t be right! Do you see a waterfall anywhere? I don’t see the waterfall.”

“What are you talking about?”

She spun around, searching the dark cave. “I’ve been here before . . . no . . . I mean . . . I thought.” She plunked down on a huge rock and put her face in her hands. “This isn’t the same place.”

“Sara, I don’t understand.” Josh sat down next to her on the cold rock. “What do you mean you’ve been here before?”

“I was wrong. This isn’t the same place.” She lifted her head from her hands. “I’m so confused.”