Prologue

Simon was sitting on his bed, doing, well, nothing. He wasn't exactly a popular guy, and he was sick of Eric's stupid poems. They irritated him.

"Simon!" His mother called. "There's a Clary for you on the phone? It's about English homework."

Clary? Simon got a weird feeling inside. He didn't recognize the name, but something about it made him feel... Weird.

"Umm... Okay." Simon took the phone. "Hello?" There was a slight pause, until someone replied.

"Simon. Simon, it's me. It's Clary."

It was a girl. What girl would be stupid enough to want to call him? Out of all people? Her voice was sweet. And it gave him that unnatural feeling again.

"I - Do we know each other?" Simon asked.

" We have English class together. Mr. Price." He thought of everyone in that class, but couldn't think of a Clary. But after all, Simon never really paid attention anyways.

"Oh, right." He lied. "I'm really sorry. I have a total mental block for faces and names. What's up? Mom said it was something about homework, but I don't think we have any homework tonight."

"Why was she calling? Was it possible she wanted to... Wanted to go out with me? I didn't even know what she looked like... Oh well. I had to take a chance, right?" Simon wondered

"Can I ask you something?"

"To go on a date, why I'm flattered. I'll have to - yes." Simon had thought in his mind.

"About A Tale of Two Cities? Look, I haven't read it yet. I like the more modern stuff. Catch-22, The Catcher in the Rye - anything with 'catch' in the title, I guess." He attempted to talk in a flirty tone, waiting to here some kind of interest from Clary.

"Who's your best friend?" She asked "Your best friend in the whole world?"

He paused. Eric. Of course. Simon laughed, wondering why he actually believed a girl was interested in him.

"I should have guessed this was about Eric. You know, if you wanted his phone number, you could have just asked him-"

And then she hung up. It was weird. Really weird. "Didn't she want Eric's number?" Simon thought. "Oh well." He concluded. "Guess it doesn't really matter."