Chapter Four

"Oh! I'm sorry." Keeley remarked as someone bumped into her. She had been captivated by a pendant that sparkled through a shop window, and hadn't been watching where she was going.

Glancing down, she saw the curly brown hair of a young boy, dressed prestigiously in a light blue coat with shiny gold buttons, and polished, dark brown shoes. He seemed familiar but she couldn't quite place him...

"Oh! I know you! You tried to sell me secrets the other day."

The boy looked up at her, his eyes wide with a fear that chilled her, even under the hot sun.

"What are you doing dressed in guard's clothes?"

"I'm workin' to serve my King. Godday."

He started down the path, a scroll clutched tightly in his small hands. Keeley felt the waves of panic crashing around him, and as she reached out with her very soul, she could feel the anxiety he hid inside. Quickly, she snatched the scroll. It read, "He drank water. Cold as ice. Mantell."

The boy snatched it back, hissing, "Those are the King's secrets. Not mine anymore."

"Mantell..." she murmured, the name a familiar taste on her tongue. "Mantell...I know that name."

The boy began to march away, but Keeley chased after him.

"Yes, Mantell! I remember now. Is he not the head of the Kingsguard?"

"I wouldn't know. I'm jus' a lowly messenger, am I not?" The boy continued in his path, and this time, Keeley flung herself in front of him. She knew the boy would not know what the message meant, but perhaps he could help her in understanding.

"Have you met with him? With Mantell?" She held out a handful of gold coins, glittering under the midday sun.

The boy stopped, and nimbly directed them into an empty alley.

"Stop botherin' me!" He demanded. "If he hears of this he'll chop off my ears!"

"Who, Mantell? The King?" For an odd reason, Keeley was not afraid that this boy might turn her in. She could sense it even when he couldn't: he didn't want to serve his King. "No matter, he won't. Not unless you tell him." She pressed the coins into his palm.

"What d'ya want from me?" He eyed her warily.

"What's your name?"

"Macron."

"Well Macron, I just want to know who you're giving the message to."

"Lord Hidenbard. Mantell said to deliver it straight away."

"I want you to watch whoever they assign you to, Mantell, Hidenbard..." The King she wanted to add, but she was too smart to push him that hard yet. Despite what the magic told her, she had to be careful. "Everyday on your runs, meet me here at midday. Let me see the messages. Tell me what you've observed."

"And why should I help you." His eyebrows arched. "You seem like quite the spy. No amount of gold would make me give away the security this kingdom provides me."

"I'm not here to take over Erradore. I'm no traitor either. I'm a clandestine member of the Kingsguard. Something I'm afraid I can't elaborate on. I'm trying to protect the King. I believe there is a traitor in our midst."

He stared at her, skeptical. But her magic said he wanted to believe her.

"Think about it. If we were to catch this traitor, you would no longer be just a messenger - you would be a hero." Perhaps it was cruel, but Keeley knew he was as starved of praise as she was, and she knew when one was starved of praise, one would take drastic measures to receive it. This lie was effective.

There was a long moment of silence before Macron sighed, "I suppose I will."

"Good." Keeley nodded her head. "Until tomorrow."

Macron blinked once, twice, and she was gone, the cool coins in his hand the only proof she was ever there.