Being Taken Care Of

A few hours later still, when the sun was beginning to rise, Bruce awoke again. This time with Wonder Woman occupying the chair next to his bed.

"Where's Se- Catwoman?" he asked.

"She's taking a nap. Seems watching you wore her out," Diana smirked.

"She's only human," he muttered.

"And so are you," Diana stared at him sternly, obviously still angry about last night.

Bruce grumbled, "Gotham needs Batman."

"Gotham needs a healthy Batman, not a sick one. Speaking of Gotham's protectors, do you feel well enough for visitors?"

"Visitors?"

At that moment the door to Bruce's bedroom swung open, and in walked Dick, Tim, and Barbara with worried expressions on their faces.

"Hey, Bruce, you okay?" Tim quietly asked, not wanting to shout and trigger another headache.

Embarrassed, Bruce looked away, "I'm fine, really. Just a little cold."

"Just a little cold?!" Dick shouted.

Bruce winced, gripping his head. The headache still hadn't completely gone away.

"Oops... sorry... but that is not just a little cold!" Dick whispered.

Barbara was carrying a tray, "Alfred asked me to bring you some breakfast... are you feeling up to it?"

Bruce nodded and waved her over. She set the tray down on his bedside table. Oatmeal and a glass of orange juice on a silver platter.

Bruce sat up, wincing as he did. He nearly forgot the brutal kicking he got last night.

Diana rushed over, "Maybe we should-"

"I can feed myself!" Bruce did his best to look composed but it was obvious he was in a lot of pain.

The three Bat kids stood there uncomfortably.

Finally Dick spoke up, "So, uh, I guess no 'thank you for taking care of Gotham last night while I was bedridden, guys'?"

Tim elbowed him, "Not while he's sick, Dick!"

Bruce had finally managed to get into a semi-comfortable position in his bed.

He hated saying thank you, so instead he simply said, "It is part of your duty to Gotham-"

"Aw, come on! A simple 'thanks'! Is that too much to ask?" Dick protested.

"Let me finish- but... you did do a good job while I was... out of commission."

Dick, Tim, and Barbara smiled.

"Alright, thank you guys. Let's give Bruce some space, though," Diana herded them out of the room.

Once again it was just her and Bruce. He vainly attempted to eat a spoonful of oatmeal, but dropped the spoon as he was lifting it to his mouth. He winced at the steaming hot food hitting his chest.

"Here, let me help," Diana grabbed one of the cloth napkins and wiped the oatmeal off his bare skin.

Bruce blushed furiously, "Am I really reduced to no better than a toddler who can't even feed themselves?"

"Come now, you can't help it. Looks like those thugs hurt you pretty badly last night," Diana scooped another spoonful of oatmeal and blew on it.

Bruce just grumbled as Diana then brought the spoonful to his mouth, allowing him to eat it. The next few minutes were filled with an awkward silence as Diana continued feeding him, occasionally stopping to give him some orange juice.

"Come on, it's not that bad. It can't be any different than what you any... Catwoman do." Diana grimaced at this last part.

Bruce blushed, "Is that really what you think we do when we're alone? Feed each other?"

"Well, I don't know what you do with her! You two seem to be in a relationship, so, I just figured..."

"We're not in a relationship."

"You're not?" Diana couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief upon hearing this. She still had a chance!

"No, though I know she likes to think we are."

"So... how do you feel about her, then? She seems to... like you," Diana had to try hard not to bend the utensil as she brought another spoonful of oatmeal to his lips.

"She's... well... a criminal. My interest is in only reforming her."

Diana narrowed her eyes at him; he wasn't very good at lying about his true feelings for Catwoman, "So you only want to reform her?"

"Of course!" he began to get a bit defensive, sensing Diana's doubt, "I don't have time for romance! I'm married to my job, defending Gotham. I especially don't have time for romance with criminals!"

"Uh huh," Diana was beginning to lose her patience, "So you don't like her?"

"I think she has a lot of... potential... potential to be a force for good, rather than evil. With a few years of rehabilitation, I'm sure she could abandon her thieving ways, and become perhaps even a hero for Gotham."

"A hero?!" Diana dropped the spoon in the empty bowl and stood up, "You think she could become a hero?!"

Bruce jumped, genuinely surprised by Diana's vehemence at the notion of Catwoman changing sides.

Diana noticed this and took a deep breath, doing her best to calm down. She sat back down, gently taking the cup of orange juice and bringing it to Bruce's lips.

"I just... she's a criminal, Bruce. Even if she manages to stop stealing and renounce her ways, I doubt she could become an actual hero, like you or I."

Bruce finished off the juice, "You never know."

At this point, Diana had to step outside, because if she didn't, she knew she'd explode with jealous rage. It was obvious he liked Catwoman as more than a friend.