³⁵ ᴋᴀʀᴀᴋᴜʀᴀ ᴠɪʟʟᴀɢᴇ

Two of the most important lessons we had to learn during the first term at the academy were how to handle a hell butterfly, and how to navigate the Dangai Precipice World, the dark cavern that acts as the bridge between our two worlds.

This is only the second time I've done both. And the first time, I ended up killing my hell butterfly. So, that one-on-one I'd requested from my theory instructor was definitely a smart move on my part. Now, my hell butterfly happily - do hell butterflies have emotions? - floats ahead of me, guiding my way through the dampness of the Dangai. The only light within this place is provided by my manipulation of Shakkaho, a large, glowing, red ball of light, held in front of me in the palm of my hand. It emits a slight warmth, about as hot as a cup full of tea, spreading a bit of heat throughout my shivering body. I should be warm, with my two layers of shihakushõ, which I'd been provided with when I arrived at the official Senkaimon. As an official Soul Reaper, it's a requirement to wear the official Soul Reaper uniform. Of course, the violet scarf my mother had gifted me isn't a part of the uniform, I can't bring myself to remove it.

After around thirty minutes of travel, a light begins to form at the end of the tunnel. Upon closer speculation, I recognize it as the exit; the other end of the Senkaimon. It's definitely not as extravagant or as large as the one I'd entered; it's only around eight feet in height and diameter, and is reminiscent to the shōji screen doors of the Kaoku Manor.

I reach it about three minutes later. The light was only for show-- it's actually night time in the World of the Living. Depending at what point you enter and exit the Dangai, there is almost always a time shift. And sometimes, you never know how much time has really passed in the outside world. Luckily, it only appears that half a day has passed.

The doors slide open, and I stop right at the edge, where the Senkaimon hovers a good fifty feet in the air, above a river. I sigh.

"Couldn't they have picked a better access point?" I grumble. "My socks are going to get soaked."

To avoid this, when i jump down, I create a platform of reishi beneath me, and land on it, a few feet from the ground. About twenty more feet away is the shore line; I quickly make my way over to it, careful not to lose focus on my spiritual energy, and jump down on the grass. The Senkaimon above me closes, and a broken sigh escapes me.

My two months begins now.

Karakura Village is just how I remember it. Before I'd died, my father, the founder of our peaceful town, had been busy building and expanding on the land he'd acquired from his father before his passing. It would seem that he still is. This place truly has grown since my absence. In less than half a year, my father has exceeded his own expectations.