⁴⁵ ɴᴇxᴛ ᴛɪᴍᴇ

Every time I had traveled to the World of the Living to do reconnaissance on Kugo, I noted the subtle, yet drastic changes to his spiritual pressure. Over the past five years, it has become less and less of a human with strange spiritual powers, and more like a Soul Reaper, like Captain Ukitake or myself. The last time I had been here was just over two months ago, where I could still trace and track him with it, but now... 

"It's... it's gone," I breathe. I run up to the edge of the lake, and sniff the air. "His spiritual pressure is gone."

"Kugo's?" he says.

"Yes, sir. In my report I'd mentioned these changes to it, but now, it hasn't just changed, it's... it's been replaced." I turn around, my great frown hurting my cheeks now. "Captain... I think he's done it."

He sighs. "It would appear so, wouldn't it? We'll have to adjust our plan, then, won't we."

"Our plan, sir?" I repeat. "Isn't it... well, straightforward enough?"

"Yes, and no," my Captain says slowly. "I have to apologize, Abaron, for my dishonesty."

"Dishonesty," I echo, a little wary.

"Today, when we left for the World of the Living, I ran into your brother, and asked him to tell you to meet me at the official Senkaimon. I'd said it was time, but I never specified what it was time for, and I apologize. 

"When I spoke with Central Fourty-Six, they, like us, weren't entirely convinced if killing a human would be the best course of action, not that it would upset any balances, nor anyone in the Soul Society, for that matter. The situation is so new to all of us, so on my way there, I had a thought. What if we don't kill this human?"

"S-Sir?"

"Any amount of fighting may be quelled peacefully-- there is always this possibility, and I taught you that, Abaron," Captain Ukitake says. "It is my hope that this can end on that peaceful note."

"You mean, despite the things he's done over the years? The murdering and the power-stealing?"

"It's... quite a mess, Abaron. But Central Fourty-Six has given us full discretion. We've been given permission to do as we see fit. So, I wish to speak to the boy first."

"Sir..." I eye him carefully. "... forgive me for speaking out, but are you sure you're not just trying to make some kind of amends for what happened with you and that human you had to kill back then...?"

Faintly, a smile appears on his lips, but his eyes have remained dark. "Perhaps." 

I sigh at him. "Well, ultimately, it's my decision, isn't it, sir? Whether I kill him or let him live, with this peaceful option of yours?"