Chapter 1

I felt the chill of the Winter wind as I walked back to my apartment, there was no snow but it was still only November so there was hope yet. No one went out walking on campus in this weather so it was the perfect time to enjoy some well needed solitude to collect my thoughts, my head was a wreck since changing majors and having to catch up with work.

Strangely, the door was unlocked when I got back and I went in to see my girlfriend, Nerissa sitting nonchalantly on my bed. Her long, wavy black hair tied into a messy bun.

"Welcome back Gratiano." she said cheerfully. I tossed my coat somewhere on the floor for later and plopped down next to her. "What's the occasion?" I asked, confused. "Well, today is....." she said expectantly. "Thursday...?" I said. She giggled. "Oh my God, no. It's our one year anniversary!"

"Oh fu-. How did I forget?!" I guess I did kind of know why but at this point I wasn't ready to accept that."Babe, it's fine, at least you didn't forget my birthday." she patted my back. Phew. "Ugh, can we just watch TV as an anniversary present?"

It was four by the time we had finished Amélie. "Oh shit, class," I said jumping off the bed to grab my coat and bag, I went back over to his bed and kissed her quickly. "Sorry that this was a crap anniversary."-~-As usual, I was sitting at the very back of the lecture hall. Best place if you asked me. I got out my poorly organised binder of all my notes and glanced over Tuesday's notes about abiogenesis. I hated how everything seemed like trying to read Chinese, nothing ever stuck. I wondered if I should have just stayed in film studies instead of trying to comprehend any kind of science.The creak of the old, wooden chair beside me snapped me out of my mental ranting. "Hey bro," said Bassanio, currently the one and only friend I had made since the whole changing major's debacle.

Bassanio started rambling about things but I honestly don't know what, I was too busy staring at his face as if there was a beautiful angel in front of me.

He turned to me and asked, "So do you think I should grow my hair out?" Oh shit, I wasn't prepared for questions. "Uh, dude your hair's already long enough," I said on impulse. His hair was utterly majestic, it was dirty blonde and came down to his chin and it shone like a halo in the strong light overhead, God, I wanted to touch it. "You really think so?" He asked sarcastically. "Do whatever you want, I'm no expert when it comes to hair," I said gesturing to my own hair.The professor finally arrived and started his tedious lecture which made as much sense to me as my feelings for the boy sitting beside me.Oh fuck that was gay