One.

I took a sip out of my soda, letting the fizziness in the drink dissipate by holding the liquid in my mouth for a few seconds before swallowing. I wasn't sure why I was in a bar drinking a soft drink at 9:00pm on the Sunday before school started up again. But I had no other way to spend my night. Correction- I was invited to yet another high school party for seniors only. Celebrating what was to be our last year in high school before we all dispersed around the country to the colleges we'd chosen. But I'd already done enough underage drinking this summer for my liking so I decided to enjoy my night away from the stupid party.

"Why are you alone?" A femine voice spoke from behind me. I didn't bother turning because I knew she would sit on the stool next to me. Call it a super human ability. But realistically I was just better at reading people than most.

"Everyone needs a good dose of isolation every once in a while," I replied to the woman. I heard the scraping of the hard metal bar chair against the wooden floor before feeling the heat of a body next to me.

"I'm not quite sure how to respond to that."

I snorted, "That was ideal."

"Rosalie," she introduced herself. I turned to her, my eye cast down towards her hand. She had one of those hands. Her nails were perfectly painted. There weren't any flaws. No calluses, no roughness, not even a faded scar from a paper cut. She'd probably never worked a day in her life, most likely didn't even know what hard work was. Rich bitch, I thought to myself.

I knew I was being unfair, but it was a thing I'd done since I was young. I used to judge people soley on their appearance, but as I matured I realised how wrong that was, and eventually decided that there's more to a person. So I learnt. I learnt how to read the language people gave me. Not the one that came out of their mouth, but the one they did with their body. To me body language is more reliable than spoken word, because its involuntary.

"Arabella," I did shake her hand, despite what I thought about her. I couldn't be rude to people externally. I looked at her then and even I couldn’t keep the shock of my face. Perhaps it was just because I hadn’t been with someone for so long, but my gaze didn’t stray from her face.

I didn't really pay attention to her clothes or superficial things like hair, though I noted hers looked like a waterfall of golden brown, and probably felt like it too. It was the way she carried herself and the way she rested her gaze on me that almost drew me to my knees. If looks could kill...

Don't ogle. Don't ogle. Don't open your mouth. Meet her fucking killer gaze with your own.

Those eyes.

The most enchanting thing about her were those eyes. They were simply blue but nothing like the ones I was used to. Hers were burning with a fiery, violent passion. I had a feeling that they'd look the same whether she was snapping a person's neck or making love to them.

“Are you going to sit there staring at me all night?” she asked curiously. I expected her to smirk, she didn’t. I felt uncomfortable then. It seemed I had guessed her personality wrong. Because of her obvious good looks, flawless hands and powerful eyes I'd assumed she'd be overly confident.

For the first time in my life I'd been wrong.

I could feel my control slipping. It was hard to explain to anyone besides myself. In one minute she’d surprised me twice. Her gorgeous features and then the calm curiosity in her voice. I’d never really met someone who didn’t portray the emotion I predicted them to. This was a first. And this is why it threw me off for a second.

“What are you drinking?” I asked, deterring the subject away from me. She glanced down at her glass, almost as if she’d forgotten it was there. But then she smirked and I didn’t know why.