Chapter 3: Carve out my Heart

Evanora noticed slightly that Kindrid's attention to her seem to grow slightly different. Even on their walk he seemed to stay a respectable bit of feet away from her. It puzzled her. Had she done something wrong?
"Kindrid?" She asked as he was reading across from her.
"Hmm?" What kind of answer was that? She scowled slightly but took a deep breath to calm her face. His eyes stayed on the book he read, even turning the page proving that he was indeed reading.
"I have to go in town today," she explained. "I need more soil and to pick up some food." He hummed again at her. "Would you like to come with me?"
"Not today, I prefer not to interact in that cloak," he leaned back in his chair and sighed. "Besides I'm content here."
Evanora looked down slightly defeated. He didnt want to do anything with her anymore. Now he has no issue with her going to town alone. "Very well."
She walked to her room to change. She looked at herself in the mirror and rolled her eyes. She even looked annoyed. Her only friend seemed to want nothing to do with her.
She pulled out an auburn dress and some black thigh high stockings. She placed them on her bed before removing her oversized shirt and shorts. She looked at herself in the mirror once more.
Her skin was pure and fair, like untouched snow. Her chest slightly red, nipples pink. She sighed at the sight of herself. She never really found herself attractive to say the least. Between her bone structure and hair, how could she?
She put her hair up in a bun and then slipped her dress on. She heard a creek and froze. "Kindrid?" She called out. No answer. Perhaps she was just paranoid. She slipped her socks on and then her boots. She looked at herself in the mirror and smiled. "This will do."
When she went back out to the living room, Kindrid was still on the couch reading to himself. "I'll be on my way then," she said, giving him a slight wave as she grabbed her bag. He hummed at her waving back.
Thankfully the town wasnt too far away, and didnt recognized her off hand. So walking in like this wasnt a big deal. Of course she caught some eyes on her, but nothing ever more than that.
Her first stop was a small gardening shop. It was quaint and had the soil samples out for her to try. She placed her hand in one, feeling its texture and wetness.
"Back again miss?" A gentleman's voice called out. She turned to see the store keep. A blond man, around her age, smiled at her warmly. She nodded at him, smiling back. "You dont want that soil," he said pointing to her hand. "It dries out too quickly."
She looked down at it and frowned. "Afraid it's all I can afford. Groceries now a days are so expensive," she said with a deep sigh. He hummed before snapping his fingers and walking back to the back room. She paused watching him.
When he came back out he had a different soil bag and sat it down. "Here ya go. This is my best quality soil."
"Oh thank you but I cant afford-"
"No worries, " he raised a hand cutting her off. "Free of charge. You are my best customer." He winked at her with reassurance.
She leaned down and took a handful. It was perfect. The right texture, wetness, colour. She was beaming with excitement. "Surely for such perfect soil I should pay." She looked back at him, noticing he was now pondering.
Another snap of his fingers, "hows this," he spoke kindly. "You take this soil, no charge, and in exchange I get to see your garden." She blinked at him. "Oh come now, you come here often enough I must see the beauty you're creating." She thought to herself a moment. Kindrid wouldnt like this.
Not that he really is paying attention to her at the moment. She nodded and smiled. "That sounds grand to me."
After a bit of chatting, setting when and where they would meet, Evanora took her bag and headed off to the next shop. She was excited that another being would be seeing her garden. Perhaps after hed visit often and she'd gain another friend.
Grocery shopping didnt take long and she was finally on her way home, humming happily to herself. When arriving she beamed, setting the soil bag in her shed.
"That's not the usual stuff," kindrid said behind her. She turned to him and chuckled. "What did you do?"
"I made a deal with the shopkeeper," she explained. "He gave me this soil for free but I felt just terrible about it. So we made a deal. Next week hes coming to see the garden." She looked at kidrid as his calm demeanor turned to worry and somewhat anger.
"Hes coming here?" He asked. Something in his voice not sounding quite right.
"Well yes, he wishes to see-" kindrid smashed his hand on the door of the shed spooking her.
"You think that's alright?! The townspeople say such terrible things about you and now you're inviting one here?!" His green eyes glowed deeper as he scowled.
"He.." evanora scowled back," he just wants to see the garden! Besides what's it to you? You dont seem to even be close to me right now!" They were actually fighting. What was going on? Had he really come to hate her?
"Of course I want to be close to you. I..."
"Dont lie to me! You wouldn't even come to town with me today!" Her eyes were starting to burn. Her chest aching and she faught her throat as it felt as though it was closing.
"You dont understand," kindrid turned away from her. But evanora was done beating around the brush. He was going to tell her, make her understand. He had to.
"Then tell me!" Kindrid ignored her, staring away from her. "Damnit kindrid! I'm your friend arent I? What's so bad it makes you want to keep away from me?!"
He stayed silent. Tears now flowing from evanoras eyes. She sniffed and whiped her eyes a bit before big orange hands took her wrists. She was about to look and yell at him when something caught her a bit off guard.
A pressure on her lips. A gentle, slightly cold pressure. She looked down. Though he didnt have human lips, he was kissing her. One of his hands traveled to her cheek, cupping it. Her eyes stayed glued open, looking into the green ones in front of her. When he pulled away he placed his head in the crook of her neck and shoulder. "I'm sorry..." he whispered.
"Kindrid you," she was frozen. Her heart racing, but her mind as blank as parchment.
"I've grown in love with you," he said, his voice shaking. "I've kept a distance to make sure I didnt hurt you." He stood up once more.
Before she could get words out of her mouth, he walked away from her, grabbing the groceries and heading inside. She couldnt call for him. She could only clench her chest in shock. She touched her lips and fell against the shed.
They were friends, this couldnt happen. And she could only imagine, that's what he felt too.