The Original Status.

Everything isn't as it seems.

I tried but it didn't work out.

These were the words that halima said to me after telling us she black mailed and threatened him and now we are here waiting for her judgement. I love Halima but she can really be a real bitch at times. She only thinks about herself only or the fact that Munir (her husband and her ex) gets really shy around me but he should be rest assured nothing can or will happen between he and I we are past that awkward stage. Aren't we?

At least I have.

Halima is older than I am and so I respect her but at times I get frustrated and irritated by her attitude. I loved Munir and she knew it. Yes he was way older than I was (16 years difference) but I really did care about him. And now it's all gone. I'm 7 months pregnant and I'm married to the most amazing guy I know although a year back I know I would never say anything like this but now whenever he travels I get so lonely and I miss him so much. I had to invite my cousin bilkisu, she's 18 and she helps me around the house. Zainab has been coming over a lot lately and I'm now used to it, it isn't as annoying anymore.

I was in halima's living room. Tahir And Amir we're both sitting beside me watching Avatar. Halima kept blabbing about her new business. Honestly, I don't know why I let Nas talk me into coming to see her but next time I'll have to go through it first before agreeing to anything.

"So what do you think?" She asks me finally finishing her sentence.

"It's perfect. You've always been good at taking things, right?" I say.

It sounds like I'm a horrible person but I'm just irritated my sister can do something like this to me. Whenever people ask me I tell them my sister married a guy she met in school but it's hard, extremely hard for me.

"Well...Okay. How is everything and bilkisu?" She asks changing the subject.

Before I could answer Munir walks in. The children get up and hug him.
"Oh Hajarah...how are you?" He asks me.

"I'm good?" I ask.

"That's great" He says back uncomfortably.

He starts walking, making his way upstairs.
"Munir my perfume bottle broke upstairs and I doubt you should go because of your asthma. Come sit here with us" halima tells him.
"I'll go outside" he says back.

"Come on. Don't be shy" she tells him and he slowly walks back and sit beside her.
"Tahir? Go and play" she tells them and they run off.
She turns back at me.

"How many months?" She asks.

"7months 3days" I say back happily.
"What is 7months 3days?" Munir asks.

"Oh you didn't know? Hajah is pregnant " she says.
He looks at me shocked.

"I didn't notice" he says back.

"Maybe it's the bubu I'm wearing and maybe because I haven't seen you since the wedding " I tell him.

"Sorry I have been busy but I thought it was a forced wedding?" He asks me looking curious.
"Yeah but things change. Love happens" halima says laughing.

I burst out laughing "Love happens" I say.
He smiles.

Then I receive a call, it's Nas.

Hello?

Hajah? How are you?

I'm great. How was the flight?

Exhausting. How are you and our baby?

We are fine. Still can't wait to get out. .

He laughs.
I'm sure. Future pilot inshallah.

Just like his dad? Inshallah.

Where are you now?

I'm at halima's house.

Okay. Don't stay long so you can rest.

Oh okay. But rakiya (our neighbor) dropped me off since I can't drive.

Can't her husband drop you..just forget it.

Ahh you remember the relationship kenan?

I laugh.
I notice both halima and Munir listening to what I was saying.

Well of course. I'll ask Awwal, his office is only a block away.

Yeah. I'll wait.

Call me when you get home.

Okay. Call me when you check in.

I will. Love you

Me too.

Take care of yourself and the baby.

I will inshallah.

I end the call.
"How is he?" Halima asks me.
"Great actually, he's sending his regards".

"That's just great" Munir says standing up. "I have to go freshen up" He heads upstairs.

:

Awwal just dropped me off at home and we are sitting in the main parlor.

"You look good pregnant" he tells me.

"Yeah. I have added weight a lot " I say smiling sheepishly.

"But you look cute and pretty".
I blush.

"Well I think it's getting late. They are going to call the Maghreb prayer anytime from now" I say trying to cut the conversation short.
"Yeah I should leave".

"But take the basket with you"

Laura just finished cooking boiled potatoes and chicken soup since I have beeen craving chicken since I got pregnant. I told her to put some for him and put it in a basket. Then add 2 bottles of zobo, samosa and freshly cut pineapple and apples to add to his dish. At least he can have something to take home after driving me back safely.

"Thank you" He says before he leaves.

I lock the door and walked upstairs to my room.

:

11:32pm

Laura, bilkisu and I are lying down on my bed watching Have and haves not. Then Nas called me.

Hey there, how are you?

Fine. I'm watching without you.

Ohh really? Betrayal. I introduced you to it and you're leaving me behind.

Your baby wanted to watch I couldn't say no.

Using our baby?

no way darling you understand.

Enjoy while you can I'm coming back in 2 days.

I'm missing you a lot.

Is that so?

Yup.

What about a video call?

Yeah we should.

See her. Sleep. You need to rest you heard what the doctor said ai.

Okay I will. Call me before your flight takes off. What time is it mah?

5:45am.

And you're still awake?

I'm talking to you ai.

Oh goodnight. You need to rest.

Goodnight.

Love ya.

Love ya too.

He ends the call. I keep my phone on the night stand before sleeping leaving Laura and bilki watching a Hausa movie.

: