A lesson in Arrow

I woke again at six, and went about my morning routine. First feeds, taking Lucifer around the fields, brushing him down, mucking out, second feeds, marking everything done on the whiteboard outside the office as I went. By that time most of the farmhouse was awake, Teo already on the ferry to the school on the mainland. Dani was up, pining after Cesca whilst they sorted the laundry together. Alessa was mucking out the fields, feeding the horses handfuls of treats from her pockets.
Aurora's stay was payed for by her parents, who thought she should do something before going off to university, so she could lie in and didn't have to help. Arrow was also paying his way, but got up at more reasonable times.
He came and sat down in the tack room when I was methodically cleaning all the tack.

"You okay?" He asked gently, when I didn't say anything.
I nodded briefly, rubbing at a mark on Everest's saddle.
We sat there in silence, me working, him watching me, before he picked up a rag and a bridle and started working.

"Undo all the buckles first, and work it into the leather underneath them." I said quietly, and he nodded, following my instructions.
It took him over twice as long to do one bridle than it would have taken me, but I appreciated the effort.

"That okay?" He asked, finally holding it out.
I nodded.
"Where does it go?" He asked.

"Hook labelled 'Rex'." I pointed, picking up another saddle.

"Hey, that one's different from the others." He noticed.

"It's Ranger's. He's ridden with a western saddle- the only one at the stables." I explained. "Those ones over there are different again, but that's because they're side-saddles."

"Maple and Brontë." Arrow noted, and I nodded. "They also have normal ones. So what's the difference?" He asked.

"You ride with both legs on one side- one above and one below the pummel. You have a whip the other side." I explained.

"Sounds dangerous. Ever done it?" Arrow asked.

"No, I stick to astride. But according to Sara it's apparently much easier."

"Maybe that's the riding for me then." Arrow noted, and I almost smiled.

"She'll tell you it's a woman's sport." I said. "But if you want to go for it, fuck gender roles."

Arrow looked at me. "Odd thing for you to say." He observed.

"Really?" I asked, before smiling. "Maybe if I was a cis straight white boy who felt threatened."

Arrow laughed. "Well, I guess you're the threatening one, what with your tattoos and swords and shit." He teased.

I shrugged, and we sat in silence for a while longer, listening to the rain outside.
"So are you?" He asked.

"Am I what?" I replied, avoiding the answer. I knew I shouldn't have opened my mouth.
This is what happens when you have fun.

"Well, obviously you're white, you look freshly dug up, but are you cis and straight?" He asked.

"I don't remember that being any of your business." I said coldly.

"Take that as a no then." He muttered. "Where does this go?"

"Kestral." I said, cursing myself.

A while later, the lunch gong went, and he jumped up. "Coming?" Arrow asked, at the door.
I shook my head.
"Come on, Renzo."

"Not hungry." I said.

"Want me to bring anything back?" He asked.

"A coffee would be great, thanks." I nodded.