An Arrow to the Heart

Spring had brought change with it. No longer did Arrow stare moodily out of the windows. Gone was the hidden anger, disappearing at the same time as the continuous winter rain. No longer did he have to check himself to prevent hurting people.
He was happier, lighter.
And gradually, spring became summer, and his mood continued to improve.

I had ridden him along the clifftops enough to trust him entirely, and the last step would be to take him onto the beach.
With the relatively calm waves, I wasn't too worried about doing so.
I suggested going down to the beach to him one morning, and he grinned at me. "What do you have to be afraid of?" He smiled. "I'd never hurt you."

"Not intentionally." I shrugged.

"Hey, aren't you the one who wanted to face Death?" Arrow smirked. He was sat on my bed, and he looked up at me as I walked towards him.

Standing between his legs, I kissed his forehead, smiling. "I don't want to die." I decided. "Because of you. You make me want to live. I want to grow old with you." I paused. "I know that sounds stupid." I finished quietly.

He lay back, tugging me down on top of him, and kissed me. "It's not stupid." He whispered. "And I'm up for growing old if you are."

"Obviously." I smiled. "I'd love to lie here with you, but-"

"You've got shit to get on with?" He whispered, and I nodded. "Then go get on with it."

"I'm sorry." I whispered, smiling as I kissed him.

"Don't forget to eat breakfast." He reminded me. "And there's a new kid coming at some point."

"Fuck them." I muttered.

"No, fuck me." He grinned, watching me pull on my clothes.

"I'd love to." I laughed, before clearing my throat. "When you're down, we'll go riding, how about that?"

"Sounds like a date." Arrow grinned, and I shook my head at him slightly.

"Idiot." I laughed.

I practically ran round the yard, mucking out and feeding, and soon Arrow was leaning against the door of the stall I was in, handing me a jam sandwich. "Don't try telling me you had breakfast." He smiled, and I took it from him, shaking my head.
"You nearly finished?" Arrow asked, and I smiled.

"Almost. You could come help, you know."

"Sure, hand it over. You're being way too slow."
I handed him the brush, and he quickly passed it back to me. "Just joking, Ren!" He grinned.

"Fuck you!" I laughed.

"Well you missed your chance this morning." He replied.

"And don't I regret it." I retorted. "You, moaning, screaming my name, making those faces of yours-"

"Shut up." He clamped his hand over my mouth. "You're just as bad, Enzo."
And then we were laughing, startling the horse in the stall with us, smiling at each other, lost in the other's touch.

"Loukianos? Loukianos Geminus?"

I whirled around, the smile wiped from my face.
"No." I replied.

"Sorry, you looked a bit like someone I know." The girl outside the stall muttered. She was speaking Italian. Arrow could understand her.
I wanted her to go away.
I needed her to go away.
"I'm Kore." She smiled. "I'm looking for Miriam?"

"Follow the signs for stable office." Arrow smiled, and as soon as she was gone he turned to me. "What's wrong, Renzo?"

He hugged me, and before I knew it I was crying.
"Loukianos." I whispered. "Luca. She must be the Kore we grew up with. I didn't recognise her, but she recognised me. At least, she recognised him. Why did it have to be her? Out of all the people in the world, it had to be someone who knew us."