Chapter 4

Astrid POV

I woke up the next morning the same way I woke up yesterday; slumped up against Hiccup with my hair wet from his tears.
Hiccup was already awake, maybe he didn't even sleep at all. He was staring up at the ceiling and I could almost hear the thoughts that we're going crazy in his brain.
I opened my mouth to say good morning, but all I managed was, "Are you okay?"
Hiccup looked at me, as if just noticing I was awake.
"I fine" He replied instantly, a reflect he had a developed over the last couple of days.
"Uh.., no your not!" I argue. Hiccup didn't answer and avoided my gaze.
"Morning lad," Gobber was at the doorway, "and Lass," he added, nodding at me. "Anyway, Spitelout is fine to do another day of chiefing if you're not up to it,"
"I'm fine Gobb-"
"No you are not!" I butted in, firmly, I turned to Gobber and added, "He'll take another day off," Gobber nodded and looked at Hiccup to see if he would argue before walking downstairs.
Hiccup lay down again and continued to stare at the ceiling. I lay down next to him an snuggled into Hiccup's chest, letting his silent tears fall into my hair.
Toothless had found himself a space to curl up on Hiccups other side.
We lay there for what seemed like years, before we heard the gang chatting downstairs. I heard them coming up the stairs and I questioned if I should move from Hiccups side or not to avoid any awkwardness, but the gang were already at the door.
"Hey guys," I muttered, sitting up and looking at them, that was when I noticed a certain raven hair Viking I knew very well.
"Heather!" I leapt up to greet her with a hug.
We broke apart and Heather looked over at Hiccup, who still hadn't moved from his position on his bed.
"How is he?" She whispered.
"Honestly, I don't even know.." I whispered back.
"I'm fine," Hiccup said sitting up.
"Hiccup, how about we all go for a fly?" Heather asked, "like old times, and toothless here looks like he's begging for a flight,"
Hiccup looked at Toothless and then back at us. "Okay fine, lets go before I change my mind," he mumbled, I smiled at him and he managed the smallest smile back, it was forced, but it was still something.

Hiccup POV

The gang and I were flying in silence. Unlike usual, I was up the back with Astrid next to me sending me worrying glances and the twins were actually the ones leading the group, I had no idea where in the acapella we were going, but I honestly didn't care.
It was only when we arrived at dragons Edge that I realised where the twins had taken us.
"Why are we here?" I asked
"Cause, H, we want to remind you that you'll be a great chief!" Tuff explained. "You were the best leader here, I mean even Snotlout obeyed you," Ruff continued
"So, we wanted to remind you that if you could handle Snotlout's behaviour and the twin's pranks and Astrid when Snotlout has stolen her axe, then you can easily manage a whole village," Fishlegs told me.
I was speechless, maybe Fishlegs was right, maybe I could do this whole chiefing thing. Astrid took my hand to help lift my confidence and gave me a look that said 'I love you'
"You're right guys," I said eventually, "I should have more confidence if I'm going to be responsible for so many people,"
We spent the rest of the afternoon swimming down at the beach of the island, laughing and splashing like we used to.
The sun was dipping into the sky and I found myself and Astrid watching the sunset as the others continued swimming. I placed my arm around her and she slipped her arm around my waist and we leaned into each other.
"I missed these sunsets," she said, as we watched the artwork of orange and pink fill the sky.
"Me too, we don't get anything like this at Berk," I agreed.
I turned to kiss her but she bet me to it. Our lips landed on each other's and I remembered the first kiss we had as a couple, watching the sunset.
We kissed for a while before we had to return to Berk.